NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about unbolting my exhaust before I get a Kazma ordered, mostly to test it for loudness and what its gonna be like as a daiily driver, but do our cars sound good at all unbolted, or do they sound like all those beater 4 cylindars you see where the muffler fell off?

Also do people usually unbolt from the cat-back or axle-back?

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Do they sound good? Yes.

Is it friggin loud? Yes.

Do most people unbolt their exhausts when they get a new one and drive around the block just for fun? Yes.

I've done it a few times, earplugs help. And its unbolted from the axle back

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SickCelica696 said:
Do they sound good? Yes.

Is it friggin loud? Yes.

Do most people unbolt their exhausts when they get a new one and drive around the block just for fun? Yes.

Well you make it sound like its easy to do. I was just thinking about it and I havent drove my car yet today so I can do it without suffering 3rd degree burns on my fingers lol

What the hell...here goes :)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
no. its not cool..driving without an exhaust is retardo. it sounds nasty and you'll sound like a freakin jet. but if thats what you like then you have clearance for takeoff..

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
It sounds nice on low RPM. But when you hit lift it a different story. I had it off for 3 months until I got my exhuast I got used to it. Sounds mean before lift then that high pitch buzzz sound. Sounds like an bike full throttle under a bridge lol.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do I get those rubber mounts for the muffler and resonator off?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
jst07 said:
You can spray some wd40 or liquid soup. Its a pain when it's dry. (Use gloves, its going to get messy). Resonator, you need the mufler shop to cut it off.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JOHN_B said:
You can spray some wd40 or liquid soup. Its a pain when it's dry. (Use gloves, its going to get messy). Resonator, you need the mufler shop to cut it off.

I noticed that one was bigger than the others...sure I can't work it off? Say I cut it off...how much are they to replace?

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
jst07 said:
I noticed that one was bigger than the others...sure I can't work it off? Say I cut it off...how much are they to replace?
Are you talking about removing the midpipe from the hangers, or removing the resonator from the midpipe?

You only need to cut if you want to remove the resonator from the midpipe since it's welded on.

The rubber will work it's way off if properly lubed, and with enough force.

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
The worst part about the unbolted exhaust is that its extremely loud inside the car due to the exhaust coming out underneath it.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
SickCelica696 said:
Do they sound good? Yes.

Is it friggin loud? Yes.

:werd:

JOHN_B said:
It sounds nice on low RPM. But when you hit lift it a different story. I had it off for 3 months until I got my exhuast I got used to it. Sounds mean before lift then that high pitch buzzz sound. Sounds like an bike full throttle under a bridge lol.
I thought it sounded great throughout the whole rev range. Hitting lift is sick! Sounds like a friggin' racecar. Search for a member named xYoungLosx (not sure of the user name), he made some pretty sweet vids running unbolted.

jst07 said:
Push the pins all the way "in," and then lube what you see with some dishwashing soap. Then push it back and forth so that you get the soap into the rubber mount, and then just push it out with your thumbs.

Jesse IL said:
The worst part about the unbolted exhaust is that its extremely loud inside the car due to the exhaust coming out underneath it.
JOHN_B said:
Resonator, you need the mufler shop to cut it off.
Don't cut that off. It'll sound raspy.

I ran a couple of days with no muffler, and I loved how it sounded, but A) I couldn't stand the noise inside the car and B) I wasn't comfortable with the hot exhaust gases just accumulating underneath the car. In fact one of the wires for my neons has been fried already (still works though).

My solution? I had a muffler shop chop off the rear portion of the stock exhaust (the section of pipe from the muffler to the tip) and KEEPING the resonator, I had that shop weld an "L" - shaped connector from the midpipe to the pipe part with the resonator. Now I have the sound of unbolted exhaust, with the exhaust gases exiting safely out of the car and without the raspiness (since I kept the resonator). Plus it still looks stock. My only complaint is that it drones at 3000 rpms, but that's only on freeway driving. My favorite part: lift sounds awesome!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I'm rolling that way right now.... its pretty loud but lift sounds SIIIIICK..... loud S2K/Bike.... I'll see if I can make a video or 2....

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well i ran with the exhaust off for the night. I'll probably bolt it back up again sunday, and then look to ordering a kazuma :)

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
I never took it above 4500rpms without my exhaust, but i bet it gets more obnoxious as it goes higher. My neighbors already hate me enough, I don't need to be honduhing around the hood.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
I've had it straight pipe, unbolted... with exhaust..
unbolted wasn't so bad.... it was loud, but not too loud annoying.. sounds great at lift... it doesn't sound ricey like civics...
It's pretty deep and sounds aggresive at high RPM...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts