NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i was in pepboys today to pick up a can of brake cleaner so i can clean my mafs. After picking up the spray i ran in to a huge line of stp products. I've seen them before, but i never really took the time to take a look at what they acutally do. There was stuff like gas treatment, complete fuel system cleaner, fuel injector and carburetor treatment, concentrated fuel injector cleaner, etc. I started to read some of them, and they pretty much say the same thing. Stupid stuff like restores lost power, improves engine efficency.
I'm just wondering of these products really work, and if so are they worth the money? Also, which ones would you suggest purchasing?

·
Registered
435 Posts
They're just cleaners. They're cheap attempts at solutions to problems. I would say don't waste your money. Maybe if you had an old junker car on it's last legs you could put that stuff through to see if it works but on any newer car I highly doubt it's gonna make any difference. If you need you fuel injectors cleaned, then have them cleaned, don't pour a bottle in the tank and assume it will take care of it. Besides, a lot of gas companies put that same stuff in their fuel that you fill your tank with (Chevron techron for example).

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh cool. I'm definatelly going to give this stuff a try. however before i start i just had some noobie qustions. First here's the picture http://www.newcelica.org/photopost/data/500/7559oil1.jpg

Ok so from the blue thing ( the oil catch cainister) there are 2 hoses connected to it. Do i pour the stuff down the top tube or the bottom tube (goes under the orange tubes). also, is the 2nd area where you pour the stuff is where you pour your motor oil?
and the 3rd place is your gas tank.

Let me know if im missing anything. Thanks :)

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
The Seafoam goes into the hose attached between the catch can and the throttle body. Might be a good idea to hold the hose shut with your thumb before and after you pour it in, just so the engine will run normally (otherwise unmetered air will enter the engine). And yes, you pour the stuff into the oil filler and the gas tank after a refill.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts