NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like every 7G Celica my drivers side door check is worn out, it won't stay open and likes to fall on my feet/shins. I have to do the ninja roll to get out of the car on a regular basis. :roflno:

I was looking at the door check online for other Toyota models and they all seem to be built similarly, but I can't find one that's been taken open to see what's inside. They're $70 new from the dealer each :)money:) but I'm wondering if there's something inside I can bend or replace or repair to save on that cost some. Has anyone ever opened one up to look inside? Does anyone have a worn out one they'd like to open up and post photos of how it works? It looks like there's some bent metal tabs that hold the back on and it would open easily. I'm assuming that there's some spring loaded fingers or rollers that follow the plastic rod on the top and bottom, if it's just worn springs that should be easy to fix!

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/132-9th-gen-corolla-1st-gen-matrix-2003-2008/1359577-i-need-door-check-vibe.html#post11310393

I found this thread about the Corolla, I'm going to measure my Celica door checks and see if they're the same length as the Corolla to see if the Civic one will work and then do my passenger side as an experiment since I need to fix a little buzz in the door anyway. I'll see how the passenger side door check goes together but it sounds like they can be rebuilt or repaired, I may try the spring thing since there's an Ace Hardware that has a good hardware selection near me and would have springs that could work. I'm thinking that replacing the rubber blocks with two really stiff springs might do the trick and never wear out, but getting ones stiff enough that are that small could be really hard.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,223 Posts
Interestingly, the '03+ have a different p/n. Maybe they made an improvement?

It's a $70 part. It's not gonna kill ya. ;-) But, it's a wear item. You might be able to stretch the existing ones by changing/increasing the pressure on the pads. This is one of the reasons that white lithium greasing them is part of regular maintenance. :)

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think lube on the rod is the issue, I think it's that the rubber bits that press down the plastic bits that ride the rod (good lord sounds like a sex toy) get worn out over time and don't squeeze the check rod enough to slow the door down. Yes I know they're $70 parts but that's $140 when all done, if I can fix it for $5 you bet your ass I will!

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any idea what the difference is between the 00-02 and the 03-05 parts for the door checks? I'll measure the length of mine tomorrow, if they're the same as a Corolla in length then I wonder if the Civic ones could work. I'm still going to pull one of mine and open it up and check it out inside. I'll try to take and post some pictures, maybe we can get a how-to about repairing them going for the cheap-skates on here (like me!).

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so I got it out. Looks like two black nylon shoes ride the shaft, don't have a grinder here at home to undo the spot welds. I pulled my pass side which is in the better shape but still tends to let the door fall closed. Looks like the passenger and driver side are identical, everything is symmetrical and when you flip over the right side check the L on the shaft points up and now it's magically the same as the driver side. This is bizarre that they list two part numbers for left and right when as best as I can tell they're the same part!

The Civic checks look too long for the sedan, but the coupe check looks about right!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CIVIC-COUPE-FRONT-RIGHT-RH-DOOR-HANDLE-INTERIOR-OEM-2006-2011-/322001860968?hash=item4af8ce7968:g:HMsAAOSwG-1Wt4cY&vxp=mtr

If I can't fix mine I'll see about getting that one for the Civic Coupe and trying it. Only thing I see is that ours has this subtle little curve to it and lacks that rubber pad at the end of travel, but the Civic Coupe seems to have the same or similar curve. I'm thinking they're probably about the same part, I'm willing to try.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I got it. My passenger side door has resistance when opening and closing and holds at the halfway point with ease.

So inside the door check are two nylon shoes and two rubber blocks which are a rectangle shape. I simply flipped one block so it sat taller and pushed it all back together, initially I tried to flip both but it was impossible to reassemble. Here's some photos of what's inside.

·
15,223 Posts
Check assy, front door, lh
68620-20060

check assy, front door, rh
68610-20190
> 08/2002
CHECK ASSY, FRONT DOOR, RH
68610-20200
CHECK ASSY, FRONT DOOR, LH
68620-20070

It appears that the '00-'02 p/n's may have been superseded by the '03+ ones. The newer p/n's show up when I search for the older ones.
I don't think lube on the rod is the issue
You can see the wear on the nylon shoes. Lubing helps reduce the wear. ;)

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I get that, but lube the rod isn't the issue with the door check not holding the door, the issue with the door check not holding the door is that either the rubber blocks have compressed with age or the nylon shoe has worn or both. Lube may keep the wear down some but it needs to be a dry lube so it doesn't attract dirt and cause more wear. I'm going to put on a light rub of silicone grease so it's not sticky and leave it alone.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the more worn out driver side did not take to being repaired at all, it jammed up trying to open the door and I'll be ordering a new one. So I guess this only works if they're not totally worn out yet, but better than nothing I suppose.

·
15,223 Posts
I find that a strategically placed foot on the bottom of the door works well. ;)

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been doing that but it's hard to do that when you're tying boots or shoes and after a while my foot goes to sleep. It's still checking but it looks like it's going to spit out the bottom shoe at some point in the near future, the new part is in tomorrow but I have to meet landscapers tomorrow night (maybe) so probably won't get swapped till the weekend. Maybe.

·
15,223 Posts
:thumbup:

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When they say updated part they are not kidding? It's way bigger! I'll snap some photos when I'm home, but the business end is twice as big. It's probably worth just getting the updated parts now that I see what a difference there is.

·
15,223 Posts
:thumbup:

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It looks more like the door check on a Toyota Sienna now than it does one from a Celica or Corolla. I kind of want to crack it iopen and look inside, but for almost $90 with tax I'll pass...

·
Registered
5 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts