NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm getting ready to plaster my door panels to make a mold to fiberglass from to make custom panels. i can't seem to think of a good way to plaster them though.
the problem is that i have to have something going around the edge of the panels to hold the plaster on top, but i can't think of anything that i could use. any ideas?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
jway83, I recently did quite a bit of hands on fiberglass work on my car. This was the first time I had ever worked with fiberglass, so I found a local installer who was nice enough to work with me and show me his trade rather than experiment myself and risk ending up with an amateur looking result.

We never used plaster for anything. I would recommend wrapping your door panel in aluminum foil. Just wrap the foil around the back of the panel and tape it into place. The foil will easily conform to the shape of the panel, pressing it into the surface will bring out all the shapes and detail of the door panel.

After the door panel is fully wrapped in the aluminum foil, put a layer of fiber glass on top of the panel. After the fiberglass has dried, peel the tape off the back of the panel and pop the whole thing off the door panel. Now you have a thin fiber glass shell the exact shape of your door panel to work with. Just make whatever modifications you want to it and strengthen it by adding a few more layers of fiberglass.

Sorry for not directly answering your question about the plaster, but if you think this is a possibility for your project, I hope that this method of molding helps. Just about every installer has a different approach to accomplish the same result and this is the method that was taught to me. I don't know anything about working w/plaster on a car. :(

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
chameleon, thanks for the tip. i will definitely try the aluminum foil, but i'm not sure if it will give me enough detail around where the arm rest attaches. i want to use it on the custom panels too. if i do end up trying to plaster though then i'll probably post on here how it went. thanks again for the tip

1 - 5 of 5 Posts