Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
'00 Celica S [EUR]
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

At first, sorry for my english, I am from Germany. Maybe, I dont have found the correct words
for all - so in advance I say sorry for that! :eek::

I have made another illumination modification. May its interesting for a few User, so I made a little guide with pics.

It is this:
In the prefacelift Celica, the power window switch on the driver side is green lighted, and the passenger side is completely not lighted. So first of all, I want to illuminate the passenger switch and secondly I want to swap the green SMD from the driver switch to a amber SMD and I want to light
the "Ghetto" switch (the power door lock switch in the middle of the unit :gap:).

At first before-after pics:
(Vorher-Before and Nacher-After)

Now, here my little pictured guide:

The board in original condition:

On this board, on the passenger side is already a place for a SMD and a resistor.
Its because of the fact that the plates are also used in right-hand drive version, and
in a RHD Celica is the driver switch on the right side.

I heared, that may not all boards have the complete layout (but I dont know, in which version
this occurs).
But this board here has the full layout and the circuit path is completely drawn.

Originally, its lighted like this:

Now, I will change the green SMD to an amber one, and then I will implement the second SMD and the resistor
on the passenger side (its a 1206 SMD).
I dont have pics from the soldering - but I think the most people, who want to make this modification, can handle
a soldering iron.

Here the polarity

And now, here the board, ready soldered with the two amber SMDs and the resistor:

Lighting:

And now to the mechanical conversion of the passenger switch

Its very easy, to get the passenger switch lighted.
Yo have to find a second power window switch unit, from which you have to
remove the driver side AUTO switch.
This second AUTO switch you have to built on the passenger side from your own first unit.

The switch is only clipped on:

Beneath the switch is a plastic fork and a spring:

Take out the fork, and then the spring:

The little acrylic glass reflector you have to clip out, too.
A little push on the top, and the reflector will come out:

Now, you have the lighted switch from the second unit removed, but this switch have the
lettering "AUTO". But the passenger side dont have a "AUTO" function.
I dont like it, if the car has a switch with a function lettered on it, which the vehicle dont have.

So I have to remove the "AUTO" letters from the switch. You can do this with acetone-free nail polish remover.
(Its really important, that the remover is acetone-free!!!)

After removing the AUTO letters, the siwtch is a little bit dull. You can make the switch glossy again with interior cleaner or plastic polish.

After removing the letters, the switch looks so:

Now you can clip in the second reflector in the unit:

The switch iy now ready to clip him in the unit, but before, you can grease
the points, where the switch is clipped in. Then the swtch is very smooth-running:

Now you can insert the spring and the plastic fork, and clip in the switch:

And now to the "Ghetto" Switch

Originally, the switch is not lighted. But if you look more closely to the switch,
you can see, that the switch is transparent, and that the switch have a little
light conductor.

But you cant make a SMD or LED direct under the switch, because of the operating pins under it.
So I drilled a hole in the near of the light conductor and glue in a SMD, which beam the conductor.

I drilled the hole here:

Than I glue in a SMD (You may have to seal the SMD, that no light can beam back):

And then, you bring light into the dark:

You can connect the wires to ACC+, IGN+ or Light+.

So..thats it! Reassemble everything and install it back, then it will looks like this:

I hope you like my little modification! :)

Best Regards,
Ben

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well done, but few notes for those wishing to attempt this. This is only possible with a non-USDM switch, which is not plug and play with stock USDM hardware (auto functions don't work without additional wiring due to safety features). Also, despite all of the pads being there, auto functions don't work on the passenger side, Toyota was just lazy and didn't want to make different boards for LHD and RHD.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.