NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend wanted to know this and i had no answer so here goes:

can you downshift in an auto, say, if you're going 40 mph at 3k rpm can you shift it from D to L2? will this make it downshift and raise your RPMS, or will it even go to L2? i never tried and never will, but he wanted to know. thanks.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yeah it will shift down a gear if you manually select that gear.

·
It is known.
8,239 Posts
you'll end up ruining your tranny that way also

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Ive done it a couple times in my auto gt. Even if your going 90mph and put it into "2" it wont downshift. If your going 60mph then i believe it will because "2" maxxes out at 77mph if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
party2go said:
you'll end up ruining your tranny that way also
Can you explain to me how downshifting is going to ruin your transmition? Downshifting is a normal function of a transmition, it automatically does it all the time whenever you give the car a little gas.

Leaving a sport shift in a tall gear while the car is floored is going to put a ton more stress on the transmition than if you were to simply downshift into the appropriate gear.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
why move the stick? Thats why they invented a kickdown cable(or more recent electronic equal)...when u mash the gas, it downs shift, no need to mess with that crap...the only reason u can select gears is for engine breaking going down a long hill, or have a heavy load or towing somthing, not that u would do that a lot with a celica

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
chameleon..down shifting atuo damages trany's alla time..... when ur going fast....... like nos said...down shift is for up or down hill etc.

·
Registered
9,255 Posts
chameleon said:

Can you explain to me how downshifting is going to ruin your transmition? Downshifting is a normal function of a transmition, it automatically does it all the time whenever you give the car a little gas.

Leaving a sport shift in a tall gear while the car is floored is going to put a ton more stress on the transmition than if you were to simply downshift into the appropriate gear.
I think he is just saying it can contribute to excessive wear & tear on the transaxle. Just be mindful that you check your fluids every so often.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts