NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Lately I've been noticing what I interpret to be gear noise when driving. If I put the clutch in, or take the car out of gear, it goes away. If you're in gear, you can tell when the car is under any sort of load, as the noise is louder. It sounds like the type of transmission noise you hear in race cars with straight cut gears. Not grinding, or anything like that. More of a mechanical whine.

I changed the trans fluid with Redline MT90 last August, right before Nationals. The car has about 10k on it since then. AFAIK, it's pretty much always had MT90 in it, and has never had any problems with the tranny. Which is apparently rare.

The car shifts fine, although I think it's about time for a new clutch. I might still do that this summer.

I've got about 1/2 quart of MT90 at home, so I was thinking that this weekend I'd open it up and drain a little oil, to see what it looks like. Other than flakes of metal in the oil, is there anything else I should be looking for?

Is there something else that might be going on?

Oh, I had to pull out of the Wilmington National Tour. Too much other stuff going on. Can't take another weekend away from home. Nationals is still up in the air. I don't have a lot of seat time in the car this summer, so I'm feeling pretty unprepared.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
The problem here is your car is over or close to 100k and you beat the shit out of it. But hey, GT tranny's are cheap.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a bad bearing last year, and this is not the same sound at all. This one only makes the sound when the car is in gear, and the clutch is engaged. It also makes less noise if the drivetrain is not under load, like if you lift off to coast, but leave the car in gear. You can hear it go away until it starts to load the motor from the other direction.

Next week, I'm going to take it in for alignment, and for some other things... I'm thinking maybe the timing chain might be getting worn. I'll have them look at the drivetrain at the same time.

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
Well what bearing was bad before? Input shaft?

The only other thing besides a bad bearing I could think of would be damaged gear teeth.

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
LOL Wheel bearing isn't in the transmission and so it won't sound the same. It sounds to me like you're describing the sound of a bad transmission bearing like one on the main shaft or lay shaft since you say it does it regardless of being engaged to the engine or not. If a bearing on one of those shafts which holds gears is bad then it will whine whenever the transmission is loaded, be it from the engine or from the wheels. If it were an input shaft being noise it would be loudest when the clutch was engaged to the engine and be quiet when the trans is decoupled.

Bearings can whine, but I more associate someone saying whine with gears not meshing correctly which can be caused by wear of the gear teeth or by the gear no longer being correctly placed in relation to the gear it's meshing with which would be either the gear has moved on the shaft or the shaft has moved.

It sounds like trans needs to come out and come apart....

Sorry, re-read. Sounds like input shaft bearing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts