NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im just curious, have no idea how a turbo works. is there a way to keep the turbo from kicking in so u dont spin the tires? Or is there somthing, else u do so u dont go sliding everywhere.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
well if you have a boost gauge just keep the car in vacuum and don't go into boost. driving a turbo car is like driving a regular car(almost)

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
kinda hard to explain.. driving the car normal like keeping the throttle partially open when excellerating, shifting at a lower rpm etc will keep the car in vacuum. basically the motor is running like it would stock where it's pulling in air on it's own.

putting the car into boost would be driving the car into.... say a freeway, you know how you mash the gas and shift at higher rpms to try and pick up speed, well when you put the motor under a certain amount of strain(load) the turbo will start to spool and in turn starts to fill in the vacuum in the intake track with positive air pressure, meaning it's pushing air into the motor vs. the motor pulling in it's own air.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Originally posted by WRENCHHEAD
kinda hard to explain.. driving the car normal like keeping the throttle partially open when excellerating, shifting at a lower rpm etc will keep the car in vacuum. basically the motor is running like it would stock where it's pulling in air on it's own.

putting the car into boost would be driving the car into.... say a freeway, you know how you mash the gas and shift at higher rpms to try and pick up speed, well when you put the motor under a certain amount of strain(load) the turbo will start to spool and in turn starts to fill in the vacuum in the intake track with positive air pressure, meaning it's pushing air into the motor vs. the motor pulling in it's own air.
:werd:

good explanation

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by IScrewedUp
Lowering your PSI wouldnt help?
Well, a stock 125 torque GT breaks loose EASY in snow, it would be the boost spikes that would send you losing traction.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
How does it break loose easy in the snow . I thought the torque on all celicas was high end , not lowend?
its light weight. You will need GREAT snow tires. But anycar will lose traction in the snow. Just drive properly. That is all.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
IScrewedUp said:
i figured it would be hard to break traction with it being fwd in the first place.

You are on the right path, but you need to take the next step. Initial traction is very good on front drive cars, because of the high weight being over the drive wheels. However, once the vehicle starts accelerating, that weight gets transferred to the rear (which is exactly what gives rear-engined Porsche 911s their great traction). With the weight transferred to the back, your front end will lose traction.

Also, lowering the PSI might help some, but any boost at all will be bad in the snow, so staying off the throttle is key.

Jon

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
i figured it would be hard to break traction with it being fwd in the first place.
A FWD car will break traction easily. As a matter of fact easiest.

Originally posted by JohnnyWash1
You are on the right path, but you need to take the next step. Initial traction is very good on front drive cars, because of the high weight being over the drive wheels. However, once the vehicle starts accelerating, that weight gets transferred to the rear (which is exactly what gives rear-engined Porsche 911s their great traction). With the weight transferred to the back, your front end will lose traction.

Also, lowering the PSI might help some, but any boost at all will be bad in the snow, so staying off the throttle is key.

Jon

The weight is only over the front drive wheels before you actually move. Unless you take purposely take 20 seconds to 30 MPH in the snow.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
NoRulzAt140 Mph said:
A FWD car will break traction easily. As a matter of fact easiest.

The weight is only over the front drive wheels before you actually move. Unless you take purposely take 20 seconds to 30 MPH in the snow.

You quoted me, so I assumed you read my post. Thanks for the echo post, however.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by JohnnyWash1
You quoted me, so I assumed you read my post. Thanks for the echo post, however.
:gap: I dont get you man

:doh:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Alot of rwd cars are front end biased--but that is because the engine is up front. In the Porsche 911, the engine is in the back. It is a rear-engined car.

NoRulz--I feel like you were arguing with me but saying the same thing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts