NewCelica.org Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
If it has VR, yes. If not, you better be in something with a fluffy suspension. ;) Try to stay on the 50mm end of the lens, with shutter speeds 1/50 on the side, and 1/10 front/rear.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
You'll also want to set the camera on shutter priority (S on the top dial), and turn on auto ISO with the minimum shutter speed set to 1/10-1/50, depending on how fast (or slow, in this case) you'll be shooting. That way you can shoot without worrying about setting exposure.

For focus, I've been using AF-C and shooting bursts. AF-A also works well, though you won't have control of the focus point. The camera is usually pretty good about picking the subject, though, since it'll be the only thing that isn't moving super fast. You'll need to shoot in bursts, since at least 75% of the shots will come out blurry at that shutter speed. I usually do about 10 shots per burst, and at least 1 will come out sharp.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Don't forget, depends on what kind of rolling shots you're going for. If you want motion blur use slower shutter speeds. I like 1/5-1/250 depending of the relative speeds of the car, how far away I am, available light, etc. If you want to freeze the car I use 1/250-1/600. A friend of mine had to shoot an Inde race a couple months back with at least 1/3200 due to the pure relative speed.

Personally I prefer shooting manual, center focus, partial metering. On a sunny day I'll start at ISO 100, F16, 1/350. I'll lower the aperture until about F6.3 and if it's not bright enough I'll start lowering the shutter speed. If the shutter speeds get below 1/125ish I'll go to ISO 200 and so on. I just prefer fast shutter speeds, personal preference I guess. Once you lock it in just burst away!
Once you learn to vary the shutter and aperture you realize how inferior camera brains are haha

And if you're going night shots you'll have to stay on the 18mm side of the lens to gain the lower aperture.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
True. I guess there are different definitions of rolling shots. Mine was for riding in a car shooting a car that's following. IMO getting motion blur on those shots is key to making things look interesting, instead of a car sitting in the middle of a freeway. ;)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts