NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I lost 2 screws that allows me to adjust partial/closed silencer so I decided to duct tape it. Is that ok? will my duct tape light on fire or something from the heat? Please help.
ALSO, will KRAZY GLUE/SUPER GLUE work?

Pictures: duct tape:

the front that i wanted to close

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes it is, i was told that it gets really really hot. lol. So it's safe right? duct tape won't ignite on me and blow up?

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Yeah duct tape is cheaper then most header wrapping stuff. I used that, it works like a charm! Plus, you have a nice silver finish!
My honest opinion, find yourself new screws..

Beside, any silencer shaped like that will hurt a lot the exhaust flow. It's good for cruising but that's about it ..

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah duct tape is cheaper then most header wrapping stuff. I used that, it works like a charm! Plus, you have a nice silver finish!
My honest opinion, find yourself new screws..

Beside, any silencer shaped like that will hurt a lot the exhaust flow. It's good for cruising but that's about it ..
i can't really tell whether you were being sarcastic or not until the second sentence. haha. Well all I do with the silencer is cruising, when i go to track i can take it off altogether

·
Trust me, I'm Asian.
8,552 Posts
Do it right and use screws.

Even if the glue doesn't catch on fire it's going to melt off, same thing for the tape.

Go to a hardware store and find screws unless you'd like your silencer to fly off suddenly as you're driving along.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do it right and use screws.

Even if the glue doesn't catch on fire it's going to melt off, same thing for the tape.

Go to a hardware store and find screws unless you'd like your silencer to fly off suddenly as you're driving along.
the silencer is held in by a bolt on the bottom, but the little disc contraption. I think the worst thing is it will rattle in, but i can just retape it. But i will find the screws eventually, anyone know where to get screws for a silencer? Are they all the same if i just find the hole diameter?

·
Trust me, I'm Asian.
8,552 Posts
Do the bolt and the screw fit the same?

If it does, take that bolt to a Lowe's or Home Depot and go to the fastener section and match it up with what they have there.

There's a template thing for you to screw what you have in and it tells you the size of the screw/bolt and you can look for what you need that way.

·
Premium Member
18,039 Posts
So... it'll be held on only by the tape? You aim to jam it into the exhaust and hope that it'll stay put?

It'll pop out the moment you attempt to "gun it". :chuckles:

I lost the bolt and nut for my silencer and just used whatever I had around. It didn't rattle whatsoever.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
LOL but i cant laugh too hard. when i used to use my silencer it would buzz allot at 2krpm as it only had 1 set screw built in. I was concerend about heat so i used marine aluminum tape to shim around it. it would work for a while then would kind of char and shrink up abit.

but on that note, go to lowes/homedepot and get new screws

·
Trust me, I'm Asian.
8,552 Posts
Wouldn't the adhesive part still burn off and eventually it'd just fall apart?

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Not as quickly (and possibly not at all) because the metal will absorb more heat without deforming, unlike the plastic duct tape.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hey guys, a little update. yeah it has fell apart, but it's inside so i just taped it back up again. However, I started taking the silencer out again so we'll see when i will need it again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts