NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the situation. Yesterday I replaced the SRI with the stock airbox. The car runs a lot better now bar the fact that sometimes at idle, it will drop to 500~400 and almost die.

While I was replacing the SRI, I cleaned the MAF using brake cleaner (no residue). I also reset the ECU (Disconneted battery) I drove the car back from my Parents to my apartment, it was only 5-10 minute drive tops. But everything was OK.

I took the car out today, bought groceries, went to my parents to drop stuff off, then went to petsmart, After I left petsmart, went to the new gas station and filled up there. Drove back to my apartment, about 8 miles away and when I was about to turn left into the complex, the car almost died, I punched the gas and it was fine.

It has happened 2 times since just today. What could be causing this? The only things I can think of are

A; Gas from new gas station might have some impurities.
B; MAFS is damaged somehow.
C; Battery is going bad
D; The ECU is still hunting for the right idle speed.

I haven't cleaned the IACV yet, but I was going to do that this weekend, maybe I can do that tuesday. The battery that is in there is a cheapo-house brand battery that looks a little old. Ill be getting the battery tested. The biggest thing that jumps out at me right now is the gas, I haven't had any problems until after I bought the gas. But IDK.

What could this be?

·
Registered
243 Posts
i had the same problem and blue bomber told me to clean my IACV, but when i put my intake in i cleaned the MAF and that fixed it, for now... :shrugs:

my guess would be a dirty IACV.

·
Registered
733 Posts
you could also take your celi to almost any repair shop and have the mafs tested to see if it is bad, cost about 10 bucks, at leat over here it does.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
so it does this when the car is idling (or close to it)? Check to make sure that your vacuum lines are all connected and on well, and that you have the right ones capped off, etc.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sbocaj55 said:
so it does this when the car is idling (or close to it)? Check to make sure that your vacuum lines are all connected and on well, and that you have the right ones capped off, etc.

Im going to double check this tomorrow. I had a hard time trying to figure out the evap routing, but im pretty sure that I have it right. The only spot I am unsure about is the check valve that goes under fuse box. I am not getting a CEL and I did hook up a code reader just to check, nothing.

Tomorrow, Ill get the battery tested, I have no idea on the age of that. I will also yank the throttle body and check the IACV. Does anyone know of any good instructions to get to the IACV?

Otherwise the car runs good. On my last tank of gas (before all this happened) i did get crappier mileage than usual (possible correlation to this problem?) I am not having any performance problems. And apart from the 3 times it does this, it idles just fine. If i feel it starting to go squirley, ill put it in neutral and its fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts