NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone has done a dyno run on a stock celica with the a/c on. I've just always wondered how much HP you lose with it on.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
My guess is if anyone did it that it was by accident and they are hanging their heads in shame right now for making a mistake that cost them $$ for another run? :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just thought it might make a good comparision. For instance when an a company says the product gives 5-10 wheel hp it would be a good comparision to what it actually feels like, so you can calibrate your butt dyno :burnout:

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Originally posted by JohnnyWash1
That's why you keep it on recirculate, so the A/C doesn't use power all the time.
:confused:
Even if you have it on recirculate with the AC and fan switched on, the AC compressor will always be sucking away power. It uses a magnetic clutch to activate, so it's just like an on/off switch connected to the AC button.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
hmmmm correct me if I am wrong...
AC running meaning engine gets hot, I noticed the engine runs the best when the ECU reads 188 degrees when I dyno tuned. Which one would reasonably assume it would run real bad because of all the heat the AC caused. Unless maybe the AC is somehow directed to intake so engine get cold air, but then the heat caused to by running the AC would negate that cold air.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
cool2miketlu said:
hmmmm correct me if I am wrong...
AC running meaning engine gets hot, I noticed the engine runs the best when the ECU reads 188 degrees when I dyno tuned. Which one would reasonably assume it would run real bad because of all the heat the AC caused. Unless maybe the AC is somehow directed to intake so engine get cold air, but then the heat caused to by running the AC would negate that cold air.

There is a system that just came out for a Ford Truck? or some other domestic vehicle called the supercooler or some other such nonsense, which actually uses the A/C compressor to route cooler air to the supercharger (I think it was F/I--which was what made the loss worth the gain). I'll have to do more research.

Blue--A while back I learned that on the "max" AC setting or recirculating AC setting on most cars the compressor does not run all the time, because the chilled air is recirculated.

Jon

·
Registered
19,279 Posts
JohnnyWash1 said:
There is a system that just came out for a Ford Truck? or some other domestic vehicle called the supercooler or some other such nonsense, which actually uses the A/C compressor to route cooler air to the supercharger (I think it was F/I--which was what made the loss worth the gain). I'll have to do more research.

Blue--A while back I learned that on the "max" AC setting or recirculating AC setting on most cars the compressor does not run all the time, because the chilled air is recirculated.

Jon
I believe that was something in the prototype Lightning and it used the A/C system to chill the intercooler. They called it something akin to a 50 shot of nitrous that you never have to refill.

http://www.fast-autos.net/ford/fordlightningconcept.html

·
Registered
24 Posts
yea notice how the a/c goes on and off once the temp inside is steady at a caertain temp. if you dont believe me, yank open the evaporator and youll see a temperature probe after it.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
with the pfc it shuts off the a/c when you go wot

you can tell because if you stay wot the air that is blown out the vents gets hot a few seconds later,

then it cools back down once you let off wot.

stock ecu never did that that I can remember

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Illusive said:
with the pfc it shuts off the a/c when you go wot

you can tell because if you stay wot the air that is blown out the vents gets hot a few seconds later,

then it cools back down once you let off wot.

stock ecu never did that that I can remember
thats pretty nice. no the stock ecu doesnt do that

its a 15 hp drop in power dyno proven by us a few years ago.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Originally posted by lhowing884
yea notice how the a/c goes on and off once the temp inside is steady at a caertain temp. if you dont believe me, yank open the evaporator and youll see a temperature probe after it.
The temp probe is set to go off near freezing. It's attached to the AC unit, so I would assume its to keep it from icing up.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Originally posted by toxcity
I was just wondering if anyone has done a dyno run on a stock celica with the a/c on. I've just always wondered how much HP you lose with it on.

lol i have no idea how much hp u would loose but with aem cai, and trd exhuast and mwr base pfc maps with the ac on medium power i dynoed at 174whp.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts