NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I've been feeling environmentally friendly and I think I'm going to make my celica compatible to run on ethanol with this white lightning conversion kit... It says that you can run your car on gasoline or ethanol or any mix in between... does anyone have any insight on this?...

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
it takes more ethanol to go the same distance on a smaller amount of gasoline. so your really paying more at the pump for something that doesnt last as long.

it itsn't neccessarily more environmentally friendly in the long run either. I mean, that stuff still has to be processed and refined, which is done in factories that are run by fossil fuels...so either way, your polluting the environment...and using up food supplies for your food supplies (livestock) haha

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
it takes more ethanol to go the same distance on a smaller amount of gasoline. so your really paying more at the pump for something that doesnt last as long.

it itsn't neccessarily more environmentally friendly in the long run either. I mean, that stuff still has to be processed and refined, which is done in factories that are run by fossil fuels...so either way, your polluting the environment...and using up food supplies for your food supplies (livestock) haha
you get fractionally less gas mileage. and everywhere ive seen e85 its been marginally cheaper than gas. but it takes more e85 to make the same amount of power which is why you get less gas mileage. my buddy ran half 91 and half e85 in his crx and it ran just fine and afterward his car seemed like it was running a lot smoother :) he didnt run it all the time though just half of one tank.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
oh yeah and about the other part they should just refine it using corn fuel rather than fossil fuels :p how sweet would that be if they gave all the really fat people lypo and used their fat for fuel ha ha. some jetsons status shiet :chuckles:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
you get fractionally less gas mileage. and everywhere ive seen e85 its been marginally cheaper than gas. but it takes more e85 to make the same amount of power which is why you get less gas mileage. my buddy ran half 91 and half e85 in his crx and it ran just fine and afterward his car seemed like it was running a lot smoother he didnt run it all the time though just half of one tank.
Doesnt E85 have a higher octane rating than gasoline? probably why it ran smoother since the higher octane reduced knock and such

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
all true...yes. but the bottom line it that it uses food. also, it will never be a nationwide alternative since it is primarily grown in the middle states, and shipping elsewhere costs alot.

·
Registered
312 Posts
when i first got my celica a boss i had was making a car into in all ethanol vehicle. but he was telling me that I could run a mix on regular unleaded and E85 instead of premium, due to the higher octane level of E85 and the lower of regular, theoretically it should run fine, but i never dared to try it

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
E85 is an awesome fuel. It makes big power and is cheap (compared to race gas.) It is really not practical for a commuter vehicle if you don't need the high octane because it costs more than gasoline and you need more of it to go a given distance.

The whitelightning box... I'm not so sure. All it does is add certain % of pulsewidth to your injectors. It's the same thing as puting larger injectors in with no tuning. I would assume it'll make the car run very rich when operating on gasoline. It may actually make the car run ok on E85 but it's hard to say.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.