NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
It's located on the right side and top (closest to the window) of your engine bay. It says "DO NOT OPEN". You re-set it by disconnecting the negative terminal of your battery.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Turn on your headlights, then pop your hood and disconnect your negative battery terminal for about 4 seconds and then reconnect it. Don't leave it disconnect for too long, otherwise it will reset your radio's setting and presets.

Reason you want the lights on is that even after you disconnect the negative battery terminal, there is store electricity in your wiring system to power the ECU for a minute, so if you leave the lights on, it will instantly drain that extra power and then your ECU will be resetted right away without affecting your radio settings.

·
Registered
45 Posts
ECU?

alright, well i know it is very common for the first mod to "chip" the car, or reprogram/replace the ECU. by doing this, you do not have a Rev or Speed limiter. does the Celica have this? can you do this? why or whynot? thanx a lot.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
The US-market Celica has no speed limiter.

As far as I know, there are no chips or reprogrammers available for the Celica's ECU that actually work. The only method to retune the fuel, ignition, revlimit, etc. is to replace the stock ECU with the APEX'i Power FC.

·
Registered
207 Posts
yeah, toyota is a bitch about letting any info out about their ecus. add to that, they encrypt everything which makes it extremely difficult for aftermarket companies to get anything accomplished.

if toyota was more like honda in releasing information, the aftermarket for toyotas would be that much greater... which in turn means more sales.

i thought the celicas had a speed governor

·
Registered
204 Posts
Here's a better way of resetting the ecu. Open up the fuse box on the right side at the top. Then take the fuse puller and pull the efi fuse (15 amp) it's like the 3rd from the left on the bottom row. Wait 15 seconds, and pop it back in. That way you don't have to worry about resetting your radio and stuff, and you don't need any tools. I did this about twice a year when my vacum tube on the air intake kept crimping and setting off my check engine light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.