NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 GTS 6mt which means my lift is engaged fairly late at 6500rpm. I recently found out the 03 GTS has lift at 6200rpm and the same limiter as the 05. as far as I can see theres no major differences apart from the lift engagement. I am pretty sure the 03 has the same emissions and air injection setup as the 05, as well as drive by wire... not seeing any differences, and am confused why nobody has done this, people always talk about swapping the 02 ECU with ECU's from a 00 or 01 car, wondering why this can or cannot be done.

·
Registered
276 Posts
They did it because in the earlier years they CLAIMED with the shift gates being narrow, people were reving them out and money shifting breaking shit. So they changednthe gear shifter slightly to combat this but still lowed the rpm.

And from what i recall lift on all models are between 6200 and 6500 just kind of depends on the individual car.

The 00-02 was drive by cable and rev limit was 8400, they reduced it to 7800 03-05 when they did drive by wire.... and im thinking 06 they raised it to 8000 flat still drive by wire.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They did it because in the earlier years they CLAIMED with the shift gates being narrow, people were reving them out and money shifting breaking shit. So they changednthe gear shifter slightly to combat this but still lowed the rpm.

And from what i recall lift on all models are between 6200 and 6500 just kind of depends on the individual car.

The 00-02 was drive by cable and rev limit was 8400, they reduced it to 7800 03-05 when they did drive by wire.... and im thinking 06 they raised it to 8000 flat still drive by wire.

see this is not what I've read and seen. From my understanding, 00-01 has lift at 6000rpm, rev limit is about 8350
in 2002 they lowered the rev limit to 7800rpm for god knows why.

then 03 the switch to drive by wire, they raised rev limit back up to 8350, and put lift engagement at 6200rpm. then 04 and 05 has lift at 6400 or 6500, and limiter at the same 8350....
and there is no 06 celica in USDM

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yeah i may be off a year, but the reasoning was listed is accurate. The ecu's people want are the 00-01 whoch is only a direct swap into he 02. 03+ is drive by wire so there is a bit more into it

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm finding 2 different part numbers that specify 2zz/gts/6mt for 03,
89661-2G401
and
89661-2G400
I may just flip a coin and order one and see what happens

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided to order the 89661-2G401 part number ECU off ebay, hopefully it changes the lift engagement to 6200 rpm and nothing else!
before video showing lift engagement (6400rpm) and limiter (not exactly sure but should be about 8350)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, spoke too soon regarding 0 issues, the check engine light came on for a p0171 code.... will have to investigate and see if its from the air injection system causing a vacuum leak...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I capped off the vacuum port that goes to the air injection system but am still getting a code, really annoying issue as it didn't pop a code both times for over 500 miles.... same p0171 codes.... might try putting the stock airbox back in and see if that changes anything.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,430 Posts

·
15,430 Posts
What is your aftermarket intake?

·
15,430 Posts
Hmm.... possibly the problem. While it does appear to narrow before the MAF (a good thing). There have been a lot of issues with getting correct MAF readings in non-OEM housings. Typically, P0171 issues are either improper MAF readings or a vacuum leak after the MAF. Going back to the stock box is a good idea for troubleshooting. You seem to be on top of things. But, I'll ask anyway. Have you cleaned or swapped the MAF?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm.... possibly the problem. While it does appear to narrow before the MAF (a good thing). There have been a lot of issues with getting correct MAF readings in non-OEM housings. Typically, P0171 issues are either improper MAF readings or a vacuum leak after the MAF. Going back to the stock box is a good idea for troubleshooting. You seem to be on top of things. But, I'll ask anyway. Have you cleaned or swapped the MAF?
The car was getting no CEL before I put the 03 ECU in so I have no reason to believe that there is any issue with the MAF, which recently was cleaned... also the intake had no issues with the old ECU either :/

·
15,430 Posts
Might be different injectors between ECUs? I don't think so. But, I'd have to hunt it down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts