NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and couldn't find anything on this matter so that's why I'm asking here...

Ok first, does anyone have an EGT gauge in their Celica? If so which brand? I was thinking about purchasing the 60mm Apexi EGT gauge but wondered if our cars will read well above 300 degrees from the header (where i'm going to mount the probe)???? The Apexi EGT gauge starts reading at 300 degrees all the way up to 1200 so I need to know if this is useless..

thanks for your help guys :)

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
I'm pretty sure the EGT guage is only really useful on turbo'd cars... I think cool2miketlu has one, so you can PM him if you want.

·
Registered
857 Posts
If ya really want to tell wether ur gonna detonate dont use a EGT...by the time the sensor signals a difference in temperature ull prob already blown ur engine...i suggest using an accurate AIR FUEL ratio monitor...a simple autometer isn't one i'd recommend.

·
Banned
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys...i run nitrous so i know i want a fuel pressure and i thought EGT would be another nice one to have...as it looks now i think i'll pick the A/F ratio or the oil pressure gauge :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
If you are running nitrous...the EGT guage will be a ton more usefull to you than the air/fuel guages out there. If you are scared of running to lean...the EGT guage will tell you that, so you can let off the gas and figure out whats wrong before engine failure occurs.

I am pretty sure most if not all air/fuel guages are somewhat innacurate for uses with nitrous. Unless you spend big bucks on one...they are mostly just eye candy..where as the EGT guage has actual purpose. Correct me if I am wrong though.

·
Registered
857 Posts
i suggest using an accurate AIR FUEL ratio monitor...a simple autometer with the stock 02 sensor isn't one i'd recommend because it will read an increased amount of free oxygen from the nitrous...u could prob use a different 02 (BOSCH LSU-4 or NTK UEGO) sensor and an autometer...this will give u a very accurate reading...i dont think anyone else using nitrous has done this with their nitrous system and they are probably gambling with their systems...just remember an autometer and ur stock sensor is just another light show, so be careful.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
I got EGT gauge and the meter gotta go higher than that.... my normal running temp (with a custom turbo) is around 1000~1200 degrees F. You need the gauge plus the EGT probe and I do have the autometer EGT gauge.
If you want a good air/fuel gauge you gotta get the really good one that cost alot, if its less than $500 its not good enough.

·
Banned
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool2miketlu said:
I got EGT gauge and the meter gotta go higher than that.... my normal running temp (with a custom turbo) is around 1000~1200 degrees F. You need the gauge plus the EGT probe and I do have the autometer EGT gauge.
If you want a good air/fuel gauge you gotta get the really good one that cost alot, if its less than $500 its not good enough.
Do you think an EGT gauge on my car would be useful then? like will it read over 300 degrees just cruising around?

i have never seen any autometer gauges/tach's that i've liked so i'm pretty much set on the Apexi gauges :)

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
>Do you think an EGT gauge on my car would be useful then?

Definitely. You can use it to safely tune your nitrous system.

>like will it read over 300 degrees just cruising around?

Most people are surprised to find out that you see pretty high temps while cruising. That's because you're not running rich. You should see ~650-800 C while cruising. If you're below that you're probably running VERY rich which you'd notice at the gas pump. You don't usually need to worry about the temps being too high while cruising as long as your engine is in good mechanical condition.

·
Banned
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
monkeywrench said:
>Do you think an EGT gauge on my car would be useful then?

Definitely. You can use it to safely tune your nitrous system.

>like will it read over 300 degrees just cruising around?

Most people are surprised to find out that you see pretty high temps while cruising. That's because you're not running rich. You should see ~650-800 C while cruising. If you're below that you're probably running VERY rich which you'd notice at the gas pump. You don't usually need to worry about the temps being too high while cruising as long as your engine is in good mechanical condition.
You sure about seeing 650-800c while cruising??? I mean I don't want to buy this thing and find out it doesn't even read 300 degrees. I plan on tapping into the downpipe, not the header.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
you tap into the manifold (turbo manifold in my case) where 4 pipes comes together as close to that come together junction as possible for more accurate reading.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Lilsupra said:
i suggest using an accurate AIR FUEL ratio monitor...a simple autometer with the stock 02 sensor isn't one i'd recommend because it will read an increased amount of free oxygen from the nitrous...u could prob use a different 02 (BOSCH LSU-4 or NTK UEGO) sensor and an autometer...this will give u a very accurate reading...i dont think anyone else using nitrous has done this with their nitrous system and they are probably gambling with their systems...just remember an autometer and ur stock sensor is just another light show, so be careful.
Did you know any ANY accurate O2 sensor only last about 100-150 hours of driving time and after that it needs to be replaced? Also a accurate wideband O2 sensor system cost about $800.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Go for the EGT. The air/fuel ratio gauge is nothing but a pretty light show without a wideband o2 sensor! Hey Monkeywrench... how much do you guys charge to install springs on a 91 mr2-t?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts