NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok you guys with a Turbo..i got an EGT for the XS, if i get it, anyways, everyone i talked to says install the probe before the turbo, however Reggi @ XS told me to install it on the downpipe..so lets hear your answers...before the turbo makes more sense to me cause the turbo greatly cools the exhaust..help please

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
I have mine on the manifold where all 4 pipe come together.
The closer to the engine exhaust the more accurate reading.
I would trust the people who is doing your turbo to do this for ya, afterall if something goes wrong their rep will go bad.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Yeah that doesn't make sense putting it on the downpipe. All the WRXs I know of have a bung put in the uppipe. By the time it gets behind the turbo it has cooled off a bit and the purpose is to monitor the air going into the turbo I believe.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
You want it in the manifold ideally behind the hottest running cylinder. As far as which cylinder that is on your engine, I can't help you there.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong isn't EGT also know as Pyrometer? Doesn't that Pyrometer hints that it keeps track of temperature after fuel is detonated which means it is monitoring exhaust coming from the engine? Which means it has nothing to do with air turbo is sucking in or pushing out, besides name a turbo that sucks or push temperature at worse case 1600 degrees F :D Because most EGT gauges reads around 1600 degrees F.
Neways it should be on the turbo manifold where the exhaust comes out of the engine, if you use 1 probe then put it in the come together of the 4 pipes this way if something bad happens to a cylinder thats not the hottest of the 4 cylinder you would know about it still.
Again I am not trying to go against 143hawaii comment but I think this way it is safer because you are monitoring all 4 cylinder instead of that 1 hottest cylinder just incase god forbid something bad happens to other cylinder not just that 1 hottest cylinder.
If you want to monitor all 4 pipes get 4 probes and 4 gauges and you can keep watch all 4 cylinders :)

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Installing it before the turbo gives you a faster and more accurate reading. But doing so will sometime risk the EGT probe/sensor breaking and being suck into your turbo and damaging it. Make sure you get a quality EGT like from Greddy, the one from Autometer sometimes have the above mentioned problem.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
coolmike - Putting the probe where all 4 cylinders merge together isn't a bad ideal. But when I said "ideally" it's because you'll get a faster response response placing it in the manifold closer to the exhaust ports. Since this is a more universal thing, you can try asking the other boards of turbo cars (MR2-T, Supra, etc.). Don't worry about the disagreeing thing, I'm getting used to it :gap: Oh ya, if you're interested, I got my turbo yesterday and I installed pretty much everything. I just need to get the oil return fitting welded on and my BOV/flange to arrive.

You think it can't get to 1600 degrees? Just search on the net for pics, trust me it's possible ;)

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
turbo making that much heat without having any kind of explosion? wow I did not expect that from a turbo :) All I would expect is the exhaust coming off the engine, but then the exhaust is spinning the turbo so I guess its possible for it to be that hot. However turbo compressing air to the engine does get that hot (can't be the air pre turbo because its sucking in air from the environment)? did not realize that I guess intercooler is totally recommanded then :)

Damn I have the autometer EGT gauge and probe :( I guess if it gets sucked in I have to get new probe and new turbo (maybe time to upgrade to T28?) but have not happened yet (knock on wood) :)

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you see, thats exactly what i was thinking...why would XS tell me to put it after the turbo? well im gonna wait and have them install it on the mainfold before the turbo..the i think thats the best thing to do

·
Registered
178 Posts
they tell you to put it after the turbo cuz if they tap into the manifold it gets weaker and it'll leak. i guess they figure that it's better to have a slightly less accurate reading rather than a cracked manifold.

·
Registered
459 Posts
your fuel rail flows from drivers side to passenger side if im not mistaken

now with that said, the cylinder{reference 4 for this exercise} will run the richest
the leanest cylinder {number 1 for refernce} will ru the leanest

most of the time you have a knock sensor in the block located by the number 3 cylinder. most of the time, not all the time.
put the probe BEFORE the turbo in the number 1 cylinder exhaust runner.
it runs the leanest. it will go before any other ones will.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Bryan H said:
your fuel rail flows from drivers side to passenger side if im not mistaken

now with that said, the cylinder{reference 4 for this exercise} will run the richest
the leanest cylinder {number 1 for refernce} will ru the leanest

most of the time you have a knock sensor in the block located by the number 3 cylinder. most of the time, not all the time.
put the probe BEFORE the turbo in the number 1 cylinder exhaust runner.
it runs the leanest. it will go before any other ones will.

Very good explaination and makes sense. Thank you :)

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
My pyrometer, egt probe is located just after the turbo in the downpipe. The highest temp. readings I had with the old T-3 was 1400, I'll let you all know what it is by this Friday as the car is finished again for the fourth time. CoolMike I have an autometer like yours:D

·
Registered
63 Posts

The reason why XS says the best place for the probe is because it's the Apexi EGT gauge. From what I understand the probes on those are really long longer than the Greddy's. I have heard of the Apexi probe breakin off. This is prob why he told you to put it into the downpipe so if it dose break it won't kill your turbo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.