NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the spring rate of Eibach Pro kit, when our cars are not accelerating, and when cornering hard?
(I guess there will be difference between the two since it is progressively wound.)

Or, can someone give anecdotal comparison between the spring rate of Eibach Pro, Tein S. Tech and stock?
(Of course the stock is the softest, but I'm interested in how much difference one can feel.)

Several people seem to be satisfied with their Eibach Pro kit with stock suspension.
Isn't it bouncy at all?

Can someone comment on Tein S. with stock shock also?
If it is bouncy, probably I'll get an AGX.

Too much questions at once :)
but I'm seriously considering buying one.

Appearance is not my purpose.
Two of my friends own Evo 8's, and after I rode their cars, I'm totally spoiled and suddenly my car feels like a water bed. :)
Their stock spring rate is 3.x/4.x (F/R).

Thanks in advance.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Standing still (F/R):

Eibach Pro Kit: 158/208 lbs-inch
Tein S-Tech: 170/220 lbs-inch
Stock: 136/168 lbs-inch

On stock struts, Tein S-Tech is slightly bouncy over long dips in the road and harsh bumps, but nothing annoying. And yes, KYB AGXs (probably even GR2/TRDs) will definitely help control that (my friend has them set at 2F/3R with S-Techs). With the AGXs, the car is much more composed in the turns, almost close in comparison to having aftermarket sways, and the ride is a bit more comfortable. They're definitely on my '05 mod shopping list. :D

Those Evo stock spring rates translate into between 170-220 lbs/inch (3.0-3.9 kgf-mm) front and 220-275 (4.0-4.9) rear. Don't happen to have the exact #s, do you? ;) They're not far off from some of the stiffer Celica springs (Hotchkis even beats that with their rear springs). :) Stock Celicas should be about 2.4/3.0. Remember, vehicle weight also plays a role in spring rates, and the Evo weights about 763 lbs more than a manual GT-S.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blue Bomber, thanks a lot as always.

Yes, our car is much lighter :)
so we can achieve similar suspension response with softer springs/shocks.

I'm leaning toward Tein S., but I'll think more about it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Originally posted by Blue Bomber
Standing still (F/R):

Eibach Pro Kit: 158/208 lbs-inch
Tein S-Tech: 170/220 lbs-inch
Stock: 136/168 lbs-inch

On stock struts, Tein S-Tech is slightly bouncy over long dips in the road and harsh bumps, but nothing annoying. And yes, KYB AGXs (probably even GR2/TRDs) will definitely help control that (my friend has them set at 2F/3R with S-Techs). With the AGXs, the car is much more composed in the turns, almost close in comparison to having aftermarket sways, and the ride is a bit more comfortable. They're definitely on my '05 mod shopping list. :D

Those Evo stock spring rates translate into between 170-220 lbs/inch (3.0-3.9 kgf-mm) front and 220-275 (4.0-4.9) rear. Don't happen to have the exact #s, do you? ;) They're not far off from some of the stiffer Celica springs (Hotchkis even beats that with their rear springs). :) Stock Celicas should be about 2.4/3.0. Remember, vehicle weight also plays a role in spring rates, and the Evo weights about 763 lbs more than a manual GT-S.
Good info...

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Finally, the spring rates for Eibach! I went with the Prokit and love it. But alot of people here (including Blue) went with the Tein S-tech. Your choice. I wouldn't get either without new struts/shocks.

Blue--Where did you get those numbers?

Jon

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Originally posted by JohnnyWash1
I wouldn't get either without new struts/shocks.
I got a set of stock struts with only 15K on them free from a friend after he sold his car, so my car was good to go with the S-Techs. :D
Blue--Where did you get those numbers?
I used the

:cool:

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Whoa, quadruple post! :eek: Is that a record? :chuckles:

Nope, no sources cited. The Eibach rates were from conehugger (he knows what he's talking about), Tein's was from Tein's site, and stock was from a previous spring rate thread here.

·
Registered
470 Posts
What is this mysterious "Search".....did the post you grabbed them from mention a source?
What is this mysterious "Search".....did the post you grabbed them from mention a source?
Originally posted by Blue Bomber
Whoa, quadruple post! :eek: Is that a record? :chuckles:
I think it is.... Where is the "Post Champion" belt at??? We need to ship it to him!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Yeah, my computer was freezing at the reply screen (damn wireless laptops)...so I didn't know if it was going through. Oh well. I can now claim a record!

Jon

EDIT--The time stamp on those is weird--I only did the whole thing once--I must have clicked 3 extra times though. I don't know how it managed 5-6minutes apart.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts