NewCelica.org Forum banner

Emissions/ smog help

3K views 19 replies 3 participants last post by  dentman 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys what's going on. Need a little help with my 04 gts.

Ok so I'm throwing some codes when I tried to get smogged, well rather they were pending. I'll post pics of the print outs when I get to a computer. I'm on my phone

The three codes are : (pending codes) P0442 P0456 (fault code) P2441

See less See more
#3 ·
Wrong electrical connector going to the EVAP Purge VSV.
Vacuum hose misconnected, disconnected, or cracked.

#4 ·
Gas cap is good. I will check check the fuel lines. Thanks

What do you mean wrong electrical connector ? Your saying the actual plug ?

I was told that the p2441 code is an actual part part, it's an air vacuum switch of some sort not a small leak. Can anyone confirm this ?

#5 ·
CEL code P2441 is secondary air injection system valve stuck closed.

Most likely you have an aftermarket intake and the intake hose to the air pump has been blocked off.
What do you mean wrong electrical connector ? Your saying the actual plug ?
Blue ASIC (butterfly) VSV electrical connector mistakenly hooked up to the EVAP Purge VSV.

#6 · (Edited)
I had an after market air intake but I have the stock air intake on right now while trying to pass smog. I'm guessing that's why the air pump is not working right anymore, from when I had an after market intake on ?

Do you know a part number or specific name to the air injection switch/valve ?

#9 ·
See the label on underside of hood.

The EVAP tests only run under specific conditions.

#8 ·
I have another question. Sorry I'd advance if there is a topic on just this but its directed to the more veteran celica guys.

When you reset your ecu, upon starting the vehicle it goes through various engine checks. If you have a scanner hooked up while driving around to monitor the progress of theses checks, can anyone tell me the order in which they ecu checks for problems. Is the last system to be check the air injection system or the evap system etc etc... If I need to explain further I can but I'm pretty sure my question will be understood.

#10 · (Edited)
lmfao have you seen the diagram on the hood.... thing looks like its 20 years old. mine is barely legible..... so is there somehwere i can view a good diagram ?

isnt an evap test done everytime the ecu has been reset completely ? but that didnt come close to answering my question about the system checks upon resetting your ecu at all.

im asking, what is the last system check to occur before you will get a check engine light when it scans the emission side of your vehicle.

#11 · (Edited)
i guess i have to really know someone on this forum to have people give a shit about my car. i see more replies on here for stupid threads i cant even comprehend and i only have 2 people who are barely giving me any information probably becuase they have other things going on. wtf guys ?

isnt this a car forum ? what happened to the support this site used to have. guess its time to find a new forum.

#12 ·
Perhaps you should ask a Toyota engineer what sequence they programmed the ECU checks so you will know the answer. That information is not commonly available to us plebes on the forum, who have tried to help you despite your tone.
There are a bunch of wiring and vacuum diagrams posted with pictures in other places on this site. That will help you determine if the blue and black electrical connectors near the intake have been swapped by accident. There are only 2 of them that can be interchanged by accident and they are obvious if you have the car in front of you.
There is no traditional bolt-on emissions air pump on this model of Celica. They only came on the old RWD ones with carburetors. The P2441 evap code is likely coming from the evap switch up behind the gas tank, which may be full of road junk. You will have to inspect it all for sure, as I suggested above.
If that doesn't help, I'm sure your local Toyota dealer can fix it for you.
TGIF
Dentman

#16 · (Edited)
There is no traditional bolt-on emissions air pump on this model of Celica.
& yet you don't realize that there is an emissions exhaust air pump on the '04+? :wtf:

The P2441 is probably because the intake hose to the air pump has been blocked off. You may not find an '04+ GT-S vacuum diagram posted on here. I think the one that was has since been deleted.

Here's the air pump showing the vacuum piping:

Attachments

#13 ·
i guess juan from down the block at the smog center has a engineer degree from toyota.

as i said all my fuel lines are fine as well as a gas cap thats just about brand new. maybe you didnt previously read that as im trying to move forward with other steps.

i have my electrical connectors correct from all the pictures on the forum, however as i keep asking about a diagram that shows the hookup placement of the hoses..... i keep asking for this. i was told to look at a sticker under my hood which isnt legible and i was joking around with everything about the sticker. maybe canadians dont get american humor ;D the pictures that are on here are random at best, most just shows some random guys incorrect configuration on is bluebomber mod wondering why he is still getting a cel. i need the stock configuration, which i rarely see anymore even more so on a car forum where everyone loves to put on a CAI lol. and im sure somewhere on this forum and somewhere on the internet theres good pictures, sorry i wasnt trying to spend two weeks trying to find information on something that someone might already have a quick link to.... again must be a Canadian thing :D

and from everyone on the internet p2441 code is the Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve Stuck Closed. hearing this, along with all the other information i have read makes me believe it is in fact a part along with pictures and digrams saying the same. either a solenoid or an actual pump, if you do not know yourself why are you giving me incorrect information based on your assumption, then ridiculing my tone because im being talked to like a 17 year old kid that just bought a intake from pep boys ?

if my tone was taken the wrong way then i apologize, but if you want to talk about tones and being polite when im in a rush to fix an urgent problem then please, start a new thread and we can battle it out on there lol ;) but whats even more funny, you just said the opposite of 2way saying there is no pump when he clearly just said the pump might be blocked off. hmmm i wonder whos right..... im trying to find what this pump looks like, how to check the pump if possible, as well as the solenoid that would allow the pump to work and how to check that to see if it might be bad. i dont know if i can read across a coil and check for continuity or what but ya.

but since my code is p2441 and not p2440 which is just a malfunction, its saying something is actually not working. not that i have a fuel leak. again which would come up as a leak detection fault code or possibly a malfunction code thats not exactly my forte.

but please dont take offense because i dont aggree with what your saying, my issue is with my car and getting adequate information to fix my issue and continue helping others as i can :)

#14 ·
no offense either dude, but im much more likely to believe someone from the unite states who understand our emission laws better, along with the fact he has nearly 15000 posts which kinda trumps your 200. which also leads me to believe he knows what the hell hes talking about lol :D

#15 ·
Nice reply dude. I have 3 of these cars in the yard and 30 years experience in fixing them, from 1976 to now. I also have the 2000 pages of shop manuals and the tools/knowledge to understand what they say. FYI - the emission controls on this model Celica are the same in Canada as the US. I've even been to California on several occasions, and imported three Toyotas from the southern US if that means anything to this discussion.
Good luck with the car. Sorry I wasted my time.
Dentman

#17 ·
Yes 2-way. I am aware that there is an electric AI pump and cold start emission system on the mid 2003 + heads. It is not bolted onto the engine and driven by a belt like some older Celicas (and trucks), as I said (or meant to say) above.
Does this car have a stock exhaust manifold or a header? Has the motor been torn down/parts swapped or is it stock? How many miles are on the motor?
Perhaps we should start with more diagnosis context to get to the right answer. Of course it may have to be translated from Canadian to American. :)
Dentman

#19 · (Edited)
nearly 15000 posts which kinda trumps your 200. which also leads me to believe he knows what the hell hes talking about lol :D
Just means I've been on the board longer, am a Mod, and a loudmouth. I make mistakes, too.
driven by a belt like some older Celicas (and trucks), as I said (or meant to say) above.
Aye.
Of course it may have to be translated from Canadian to American. :)
I'll speak poutine if I have to. Eh.

#18 · (Edited)
CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
To accelerate the activation of catalyst when warming up the engine, the air injection system pumps the secondary air to the exhaust manifold by pressure. The secondary air is supplied by the air pump and it is pumped to the exhaust manifold through the air switching valve. Open and close movement of the air switching valve is regulated by the vacuum switching valve (VSV).The air pump and the air switching valve are observed by the ECM and are used to detect a malfunction in this system.

The ECM monitors the secondary air injection system and detects a malfunction using a pressure sensor located on the air switching valve.

DTC No.
P2441

DTC Detection Condition
Although the ECM has ordered the VSV to open the air switching
valve while the engine is running but the pressure sensor is
unable to detect pulsation of the exhaust gas

Trouble Area
  • VSV
  • Air switching valve
  • Open or short in VSV circuit
  • Vacuum hose and check valve
  • Air injection hose
  • Pressure sensor
  • Open or short in pressure sensor circuit
  • ECM

MONITOR DESCRIPTION
The ECM observes the pressure in the secondary air passage using the pressure sensor located on the air switching valve in the secondary air injection system. The sensor detects an exhaust pressure in the secondary air passage.

If the ECM receives the pulsation signal from the sensor despite the ECM ordering the VSV to close the air switching valve, or if the ECM has not received the signal from the sensor despite the ECM ordering the VSV to open the valve, the ECM interprets this as a fault in the secondary air injection system and sets a DTC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.