NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My time has come and I'm going over this afternoon. I've taken Jen's car (1991) and read the info before but I still have a few Qs.

Gas Cap Check: How do they do it w/ the cable attached? Do they hang the nozzle and hose from the cap, dangling from the side of the car? Jen's car had a cap that was free of the vehicle and they hung the hose back on the computer cabinet during the test.

OBD Test: Plug you in and check the codes? Do they rev the engine or need it on the rollers for this? I "rode along" for Jen's test and they took it through a series of accelerations and stops. The guy was very good. My only real concern is a section of the test where they take it up to 65, brake, and drop back to 25mph. The horror that keeps racing through my mind is some ham-fisted guy mis-shifting the suspect (I have no problems) 2000 6spd transmission.

I know I'm paranoid, but thanks anyway.

·
Premium Member
21,896 Posts
nice sig.....for the gas cap check they will take the cap off the "wire" and hook it up to the machine......as for the "driving test" I wouldn't be able to help you as mine was pretty simple.....:D

then again, I had to take my front bumper off in order for my car to not hit the rollers......:wtf:

·
Registered
19,279 Posts
I had my car checked last month. They didn't do anything with the gas cap that I could see. All they did was hook up to the OBD computer (by the dead pedal) and just had the car sit there for like 2 minutes. I was like, "That's all???"

And then I was on my way out the door. :)

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
i have to do my emmission before April 2nd. i wanted to wait til i got my air ride suspension on cuz there was no way my front bumper was going to make it over those 'dyno' humps. I'll keep you posted with how it turns out. Wish me luck!.............

·
Registered
19,279 Posts
they don't need to do that to your car beth. It's OBD so all they have to do it hook it up to the computer.

Why are YOU worried about emissions?!?! It's not like you have any PERFORMANCE parts on your car. :rofl:

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
:chuckles: At least she recognizes that she's all show and no go! For my emissions, I just drove into a building like a dealership and stood in the office area for less than five minutes. I was reading all of the tests and thought that there would be more than that. Mah baby passed too!

mei*

·
Registered
18,130 Posts
Beth does need to wait. Just because they don't do the test on the rollers, she still has to drive over them! Although. . . There was a guy with a corvette there that morning. They let him back into the garage, so he didnt have to go over the bumps. I bet she could do that too.

·
Registered
910 Posts
good luck with the emissions test everyone...my toyota passed with flying colors but my station wagon unfortunatly wasnt so lucky....and took like 3 trips before it fianlly made it through okay, i guess it depends on who you get at the emissions as well though so best of luck:)

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No problem with the test. Pulled in and she hooked up the vacuum hose to the gas cap, let it dangle from the cord and turned it on. Next she pulled the car forward, across the rollers, to the OBD station and plugged it in. 30 sec later it was done and she pulled it forward to the print out station and I was out the door.

If you're really worried about the vacuum mechanism scratching your car I'm sure that you could stand there and hold it up. I don't see why they couldn't pull the OBD cord over to you car before the rollers. You could also request that you back out and drive around to the other side of the garage if you don't think that you're high enough to clear them. Their only argument would be that you are screwing up their "system". :rolleyes: Just try and go when they aren't that busy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.