NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 2004 Toyota Celica GT 2 months ago and notice that the engine fan turns on almost every 5-10 minutes even if the car is driven for like 30 minutes at a time and not even in super hot weather.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
491 Posts
The fan turns on automatically when coolant exceeds certain temp. When the engine is on, fans will turn on and off every 5-10 minutes.

Normally the engine temp needle on the dash should be in mid range after engine reached normal operating temp. Where is it now?

If then engine has overheating problem, the fan would turn on more often How soon into the 30 min drive does the fan turns on?

Ask the previous owner what maintenance or repairs were last done to the car. Overheating could be caused by blockages in the radiator or bad coolant bleeding.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fan turns on automatically when coolant exceeds certain temp. When the engine is on, fans will turn on and off every 5-10 minutes.

Normally the engine temp needle on the dash should be in mid range after engine reached normal operating temp. Where is it now?

If then engine has overheating problem, the fan would turn on more often How soon into the 30 min drive does the fan turns on?

Ask the previous owner what maintenance or repairs were last done to the car. Overheating could be caused by blockages in the radiator or bad coolant bleeding.
The engine needle is in the mid position after turning on the car. I’ll have to document it but if I had to guess I’d say about 15 minutes into the drive.
Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
491 Posts
The engine needle is in the mid position after turning on the car. I’ll have to document it but if I had to guess I’d say about 15 minutes into the drive.
Thanks for your input!
15 minutes into the drive the engine should reach normal operating temp. The fan should turn on and off every 5,10 minutes. If you turn the engine off after a long drive, the fan would automatically continue turning on and off to cool the engine.

Engine temp needle is in the mid range, so it's not overheating.

Everything seems to work normally.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
15 minutes into the drive the engine should reach normal operating temp. The fan should turn on and off every 5,10 minutes. If you turn the engine off after a long drive, the fan would automatically continue turning on and off to cool the engine.

Engine temp needle is in the mid range, so it's not overheating.

Everything seems to work normally.
Okay. Just something that stood out to me, I used to drive a Camry when I was younger and now that I think of it it also did this. Since then I have had a BMW, Camaro and Mustang and it seemed that their fans would go on when the vehicle was stopped after a longer 1hr+ drive etc. Must be Toyota thing.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,612 Posts
AC or defrost on?

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,612 Posts
AC fan runs independently from engine cooling fan. Might've been what you were experiencing.

Reactions: jsanc7991
1 - 8 of 8 Posts