NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's basically my question.

Sometimes I don't start my 01 celica (230K+ miles) for a few days and it doesn't sound pretty for the first few seconds, as all the oil has drained down into the pan after sitting.

It's always done this a little bit even when new (ONLY when I haven't started it in several days, but it's getting a little worse now because, miles).

So long as I start it every day / every other day it's fine.

I am thinking a prelube system would be a good idea.

Anyone install one of these on their car?

2 that I've seen online are 'Insta-Lube' and 'Keith Eickert'.

I know these are more popular in cold climates and with larger more industrial engines - but this seems like the best solution to me.

Thoughts?

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,292 Posts
it doesn't sound pretty for the first few seconds
VVT rattle or rod knock?

& no, I don't know of any member that has installed an oil primer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No rattles, no knocks, no noises.

This car is one owner (me) I bought this car brand new in 2001.

So it is adult owned, never raced (although I drive it in a spirited fashion on occasion - nothing crazy though)

zero oil consumption, no tailpipe puffs.

Also, I change the engine oil every 3k with full synthetic (Castrol Syntec) whether it needs it or not.

This after letting it break in using regular engine oil for the first 8k miles.

The oil comes out with an almost translucent red hue if I shine a flashlight through the stream of draining oil.

In other words, I believe the engine (hopefully) will have many more miles to go and it seems to have no other issues whatsoever.

But if it keeps starting up bone dry like this it will not last long at all.

I am hoping the main bearings / connecting rod bearings are not excessively worn.

What gives me hope is that this engine has ALWAYS been peculiar this way after leaving it set for a long time without starting it.

Also this has always been a California and Florida car - so it has never ever had to endure really cold starts.

·
Registered
460 Posts
You won't need it, these engines just don't sound too pretty when you first turn them on because of the VVT, timing chain, tensioners, valves, etc. You can try to run an injector/valve cleaner though the tank which may help any noises after a cold start. You're not burning oil and you're changing your oil every 3k miles. Keep that up and the odometer will reset back to zero soon enough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts