NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
so in short, I am removing my engine due to spun bearing, using the guides here and help from some experienced motorheads from local celica club.

Im wondering what are your thoughts about this ebay engine rebuild kit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-06-Toyota-Celica-Corolla-1-8L-VVTL-i-Master-Overhaul-Engine-Rebuild-Kit-2ZZGE-/281206124822?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:2000|Model:Celica&hash=item417930f116&vxp=mtr

looks OK, but im concearned about the gasket quality

Kit includes :

Multi-Layered Steel head gasket
Intake manifold gasket
Exhaust manifold gasket
Valve cover gasket
Viton valve stem seals
Camshaft front
O-rings
Front Seal Gasket
Rear Seal Gasket
Water Pump Gasket
Timing Cover Gasket
Other Small Gaskets
4 Pistons (Available in Standard and Oversizes: .50mm = .020")
Complete Ring Set for 4 Pistons (Available in Standard and Oversizes: .50mm = .020")
Wrist Pins and clips
Compression Ratio: Stock
Bore Diameter: 82.00 mm
1st Group: 1.20 mm
2nd Group: 1.20 mm
Oil Ring: 3.00 mm
Complete Main and Rod Bearings
Main Bearing Set (Standard or Oversize: .25mm = .010" or .50mm = .020")
Rod Bearing Set (Standard or Oversize: .25mm = .010" or .50mm = .020")
Trust Washers

Oil Pump
Water Pump
Timing Chain Kit
1 Timing Chain (136 links)
1 VVT-i Sprocket (intake)
1 Cam Sprocket (exhaust)
1 Crank Sprocket (18 teeth)
1 Guide Rail (left - fixed)
1 Guide Rail (right - tensioner arm)
1 Tensioner (ratcheting style)
This timing kit is for high output engines, and does not fit for CELICA GT model.
10 Head Bolts

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
do NOT use ebay rebuild kits. they are SHIT!

get the OEM kit from the dealer. yes its more expensive, but do you want to do all that work all over again?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crap...

Well quality = money...

but is there anything aftermarket, that might be used and is in similar price as oem?

·
Registered
538 Posts
do NOT use ebay rebuild kits. they are SHIT!

get the OEM kit from the dealer. yes its more expensive, but do you want to do all that work all over again?
Just out of curiosity, have you ever personally seen these kits or used them in a rebuild? Just curious to know what exactly is crap about them. Not debating their quality, just wanted to know what makes them inferior.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
I'd be wary of any ebay 2ZZ kit that offers oversize pistons. :ugh:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the pistons and rings on the ebay set seem to be from NPR. And NPR looks reliable, based on the info i can find...

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
the 2ZZ is very picky, I would only use OEM pistons too.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever personally seen these kits or used them in a rebuild? Just curious to know what exactly is crap about them. Not debating their quality, just wanted to know what makes them inferior.
yes I have seen the Fel-pro and some other kits. the gaskets are not near as thick. take the timing cover for example. that gasket wasnt thick enough to make a good seal. It would have leaked. same with the water pump seal. After that, OEM only! they just work and I dont like doing things more than once.

so do it right the first time OEM!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
the 2ZZ is very picky, I would only use OEM pistons too.
they just work and I dont like doing things more than once.

so do it right the first time OEM!
^^^ This, you don't want to skimp on stuff like this. Doing things over will cause you more money and headache later.

I have seen plenty of Toyota's with over 300k on the odometer come through various service drives. You want to know why they still run like a champ?

Owners only used OEM parts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^^ This, you don't want to skimp on stuff like this. Doing things over will cause you more money and headache later.

I have seen plenty of Toyota's with over 300k on the odometer come through various service drives. You want to know why they still run like a champ?

Owners only used OEM parts.
Well OEM parts it is then...
This means ill have to overhaul the engine and stay without my celica for a longer time, because of tight budget. But keeping it running in longer term is more important I guess.. Its my money eating baby :love:

·
Lift is a beautiful thing
63 Posts
I used an eBay gasket kit to rebuild my last motor. The head gasket blew out after a couple weeks which led to engine failure. I have learned the hard way

·
Registered
530 Posts
I used that kit from monkeywrench on my race car engine rebuild and have no complaints so far.
Dentman

·
Spanning Tree Storm
1,264 Posts
MWR is OEM. just search for the part number. I have received mine few days ago

1 - 14 of 14 Posts