NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I know this varies depending on where I live but can anyone give me a really rough estimate of how much it would cost to replace an engine?

Just curious as some one has a 2002 for a really low price. I'm guessing it's either a scam, a salvage title, very high mileage, or maybe even the car is really eating through oil badly (and that's not something I hear I can check for easily by looking at the car). I think it's a small possibility the guy is just desperate (it's posted so low that I think even desperate people wouldn't go that low). Unfortunately all he posted about the car is that it has your usual wear and tear for a 2002 and is good cosmetically and engine wise (he could just not be saying that it's eating through oil as the car may run fine right now).

But, if it's not the first three, I am wondering if it is a good gamble to risk on the eating oil and will need an engine replacement (it is quite possible it's still a good deal if I had some one replace the engine for me).

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
It's probably high mileage and a salvage title. If it is a GT then it might be eating oil, GT-S's don't have that problem as much. Check the car out. See if you can find a mechanic to take a look at it. check the oil level too. An engine replacement or rebuild could be up to $3,000 or so.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's probably high mileage and a salvage title. If it is a GT then it might be eating oil, GT-S's don't have that problem as much. Check the car out. See if you can find a mechanic to take a look at it. check the oil level too. An engine replacement or rebuild could be up to $3,000 or so.
Yeah, I'm guessing if it's not a scam it's a salvage title (specially since he didn't mention that), or high mileage. And I could see both. He hasn't respoded back to my inquiry which included asking about vin (so I could carfax it) and mileage. If he doesn't I am thinking there is at least half chance he realized I was looking out to make sure it wasn't one of those things (or maybe some one else responded first and he is waiting on them but unless some one was stupid and bought sight unseen I'd doubt he sold it already). And yeah, it is a GT which is why I am asking :).

Put it this way, even with 3000 cost for an engine replacement, if it wasn't high mileage and/or salvage it would probably still be a pretty decent deal.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
I bought a salvage title GT over the summer that was wrecked. had the engine rebuilt recently so i didn't have to worry about that. I paid about 1,800 for the car and spent around $500 or so to get it driveable. So for between $2,300 and $2,600 it wasn't a bad deal at all.

The only problem is that with a high mileage car you don't know what else is or will go wrong. The engine may be worth it to you but add in a transmission, clutch if it is a manual, brakes, some water leaking problems or shocks and springs and the car might cost more than it is worth.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
You can find a used 2zz cheap maybe $1200.
yeah but this is a GT. so it should be even easier to find a used 1zz for even cheaper. he could go with a 2zz but would need the ECU as well as a few other things and that would be pricey.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
yeah but this is a GT. so it should be even easier to find a used 1zz for even cheaper. he could go with a 2zz but would need the ECU as well as a few other things and that would be pricey.
She ;).

Yeah, I hear the 1zz was used in a bunch of cars so easy to find.

But, yeah, I don't really want a high mileage. Some one is asking a decent price for a 150k mileage one (needs to sell quickly and wants 3500 OBO) and I"ve considered it. But honestly, I really like the car and could foresee wanting ot keep this car for a long time and at 150k miles if I drive an average of 10k miles (to be fair since I commute a lot on my bikes not sure if I drive that much even) it would last maybe 5 years (and my current car I've had for 6-7 years). And in 5 years, it will be even harder to find a good condition Celica. I'd rather find one now that could possibly last 10 (or until I can afford another Porsche 911 (pre 1998), whichever comes first. With how the economy and my life is going, probably 10 years :( ).

And as some one said, it's not just the engine you have to worry abotu (shoot, my current car has a strong engine and good body but the tach/odometer/tripometer and sometimes the speedometer don't work. And cause of that I can't even get anyone to consider it at a price of 1500. I am going to be annnoyed if I can only get 500 for it cause if you can get over those quirks, the car will probably last a long time. The engine is strong and 325e engines have been known to go well over 200k in miles).

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Haha my bad on the "he".
I know what you mean about the high mileage. If you want a GT that is going to run for a while you better find one with an 03+ engine. The 00-02 engines eat oil like crazy so figure on a rebuilt engine if you get one before 03. for a longer lasting car your best bet would be a GT, the GT-S's transmission goes to crap too often.

My GT-S has 150,000 miles on her and the engine is still strong, she hasn't been babied for the past two years either. tranny did have to be replaced though. The celica seems fairly reliable but they do have some strange quarks every now and then. If you plan on keeping it stock then I'm sure one of the updated 1zz engines could do 200,000 and beyond.

If that GT doesn't consume oil it would probably be a good deal but if it needs a new engine, maybe not so much. buying used is always a risk people rarely tell you the full story and usually they sell because they have a problem they are tired of dealing with. I saw a 1zz engine with only 35,000 on it today for about 1200. between shipping and install thats still probably around $2,000 for a newer engine so you could pick up a cheap one that needs the engine replaced and still come out pretty well.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
you dont want a GT either.
you do if you want a reliable long term transmission and a car that gets even better gas mileage

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you do if you want a reliable long term transmission and a car that gets even better gas mileage
And this is why I want a GT over a GTS (gas mileage).

Power wise the GT is more than fine for me. I'm mostly happy with my BMW's power and while the e engine is known for long lasting, it's not known for speed (it is very torquey and will beat the i engine in 0-50 but 0-60 and top end the i engine is much better. Plus most people want the i engine cause there is a lot more mods for it. ANother reason my car is not being very desireable right now. There's I believe much less difference between the GT and the GTS as there was between the i and the e).

And honestly, I'm not very good at revving high (I do better with torquey) so from what I understand, I probably wouldn't even notice the difference in the GTS anyways ;).

It would be really hard for me to afford a 2003. I'm having a hard enough time finding a 2000 in my price range :(. I'm trying to find ways to finagle affording a 2003 (There's one that is in good condition the dealer is asking 10,500 for but I can't justify that much. if I could get 1500 for my car, or even 1k, I might be able to. But it's been listed for a few days and no one is evne interested in seeing if they can bargain me down... not a good sign. I"m even thinking of just taking it if I can get the dealer down to 10k, I'm pretty sure I should at least be able to get 500 for my car... he already claimed to me 10.5 was the lowest he'd take but I didn't try very hard and maybe if I wait a few weeks and he still has it I'm hoping he'd be more open to 10k).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.