NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mishifted to 2nd on the highway and my engine went to somewhere between 8500 and 9000RPM before i caught it...it smelled a little hot when i stopped, but otherwise it runs fine still. Is there anything I need to do or check on for it? Did this do much permant damage?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Did you completely let off the clutch? and how long was it in 2nd going 70mph? were there any abnormal noises? and how long did you drive it after the misshift?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the clutch was probably at 80% or so when I caught it, and it was just for a split second cause i saw the RPMs fly and pushed the clutch back in immediately. The engine purred all the way though, no weird noises/clanks or anything. I drove it about another half mile to where I was going and stopped there.

This was a few days ago, I've started and drove it plenty of times since then, and the engine still idles normally, no ticks or anything.

What does this put wear on if anything? I'd hate to have to spend a bunch of money on this, but if it just wears like the rods and valves/valve springs...well thats just an excuse to upgrade them lol.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
i mis-shifted twice already in the celica, i have ticking noise in my engine, knock on wood been ticking for a year or so and no problem.

if u dont hear any odd noises i would assume you are fine

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
dosent sound like you did any damage, you might have caught it in time, just keep an eye on things for a while

·
Registered
726 Posts
DelltaDMX said:
i mis-shifted twice already in the celica, i have ticking noise in my engine, knock on wood been ticking for a year or so and no problem.

if u dont hear any odd noises i would assume you are fine
the ticking you are talkin about, is it real obvious?

·
Registered
656 Posts
The damage that is usually done when you mis-shift is bent valves and trust me you would know if you had a bent valve. You will idle very rough and a CEL will come up. If you only revved to 9k then you should be fine. Its when you push upwards to 10k where **** starts to break. If I'm not mistaken we have people here with PFC revving to 8600- 8800 on stock internals.

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Not this time. Dont make it a habit.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
black02gt said:
The damage that is usually done when you mis-shift is bent valves and trust me you would know if you had a bent valve. You will idle very rough and a CEL will come up. If you only revved to 9k then you should be fine. Its when you push upwards to 10k where **** starts to break. If I'm not mistaken we have people here with PFC revving to 8600- 8800 on stock internals.

I assumed that I was alright, but I didnt know exactly what it was the breaks when something like that happens, this way I know what to watch for, and I also know what would need fixing. Pistons wouldnt be fun to replace, but I wouldnt have much problem with some high performance valves in there ;)

·
Registered
798 Posts
yea i was gonna ask that on here in a few days cause i got the 02 engine with the lame 7800 rev limiter and the guy with the haas kit his name escapes me at the moment but he supposedly redlines to 8900. I wanna run 8600 fuel cutoff when i get my Power FC =D.

·
Registered
473 Posts
On the upshift there is certain amount of rpm you can reach before fuel cutoff so that the engine does not get damaged right? how come this does not kick in when people accidently missshift?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I've misshifted into second going like 90 I think..and a couple times before going around 70ish....luckily I don't have any problems yet that I notice.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
kylebGTS said:
On the upshift there is certain amount of rpm you can reach before fuel cutoff so that the engine does not get damaged right? how come this does not kick in when people accidently missshift?
Becasue all it can do is fuel cutoff...that works when your accelerating, but when the engine is being spun by the tires, it doesnt matter if its getting fuel or not, the engine is gonna spin.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
i misshifted once going around 75-80 into second. I have some ticking noises, which are bent valves. From what people told me, they said its not serious because i didn't feel any performance loss? Just be on the safe side and do a compression test to see if anything did go wrong. Make sure your compression is around 240.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
timm3r said:
i misshifted once going around 75-80 into second. I have some ticking noises, which are bent valves. From what people told me, they said its not serious because i didn't feel any performance loss? Just be on the safe side and do a compression test to see if anything did go wrong. Make sure your compression is around 240.

Where/how do i do one? And how much is it?

·
Registered
183 Posts
how do u miss shift? is it like when ur going at a certain speed and u wanna chuck it in 4th but u chuck it in 2nd? or when u shift from 2nd to 3rd but go in first? is that miss shifting? Isn't that hard to do? I got nov 99 model so maybe its harder to miss shift in mine cos i read some one said something about the shift gates in later models being closer or something i dunno. But yea, is that what miss shifting means?

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,527 Posts
AnthyGTS said:
is it like when ur going at a certain speed and u wanna chuck it in 4th but u chuck it in 2nd?
Yes, downshifting from 5th to 4th in a GT-S to accelerate and you pull too hard towards driver. More likely to happen when you are caught off guard & shift in a hurry. It's pretty hard to misshift into 1st. Yes, earlier MY's had narrower shift gates making it slightly easier to do.

·
Registered
249 Posts
yeah misshifting sucks, i misshifted at 80 into 2nd once right after i got my injen intake and almost blew my ear not the engine lol. but u havnt had any problems yet that i know of. i always havea ticking though, sometimes its kinda loud, i think its mainly when ther car has been running for a bit, and i hear it more at an idle or when the ac is on at an idle. i dont think it could be any bent valves or anything, it still runs fine and hits lift fine. its been a few months. 03-gts

1 - 19 of 19 Posts