NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I've finally got my engine together. I'm positive my timing is correct (assuming the EX dot on exhaust cam sprocket tooth meets with dot on intake cam sprocket tooth at the top of the timing chain cover at TDC). The engine starts. It keeps going as long as I give it throttle, but if I don't, it shakes like crazy under 1000 rpm for a few seconds and dies.

After looking around for about an hour, I see one potential issue, and I can't figure out what the line is for, even after looking through the entire shop manual. There is a very thin line running from my air cleaner assembly (with a blue plastic coupler at air cleaner) to my intake manifold directly above the lowest, farthest right screw (by the throttle body bottom). It is literally broken off on the intake manifold side. Does anyone possibly know what this could be?

It sucks to be so done, yet...not done at all. :(

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure there's no vacuum diagram under the hood, but I'll have to wait until 4:30 when I get out of work.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,638 Posts
cicatrize said:
There is a very thin line running from my air cleaner assembly (with a blue plastic coupler at air cleaner) to my intake manifold directly above the lowest, farthest right screw (by the throttle body bottom). It is literally broken off on the intake manifold side. Does anyone possibly know what this could be?
Sounds like the manifold air line to the butterfly valve vacuum canister under the airbox.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Here is a picture of the vacuum diagram (click to enlarge):

Says "check valve". I believe that's the correct one.

I'll go downstairs and take pictures.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd also like to add that on the front side (front bumper side) of the bottom air cleaner, there are three little plastic tabs that seem to hold down the top of the air cleaner. the one in the center is broken off. I assume this may cause an issue, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I have some pictures. Click them to enlarge.

Here is the hose that is broken off:

Here is the section it broke off of (hose is in pic):

Here is the broken clip in the center of the air cleaner:

Here is what the good clip looks like:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
cicatrize said:
... I'm positive my timing is correct (assuming the EX dot on exhaust cam sprocket tooth meets with dot on intake cam sprocket tooth at the top of the timing chain cover at TDC :(
Is that 1ZZ or 2ZZ? Isn't it one tooth off for 2ZZ?
dB

And definitely plug the hole in the manifold.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
deltaB said:
Is that 1ZZ or 2ZZ? Isn't it one tooth off for 2ZZ?
dB

And definitely plug the hole in the manifold.
It's 1ZZ. I've lined them up precisely.

Plug the hole? Don't I want to put like a 1/8" hose connector in there so I can hook it up? Or...does it not matter, as long as it's vacuumed everywhere else?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What could I have done to the IACV in the process of putting everything back together? It was working perfectly fine before. :/

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
cicatrize said:
What could I have done to the IACV in the process of putting everything back together? It was working perfectly fine before. :/

Check that you have the correct wiring to it. On the 1zz, the connection to the IACV is gray, to the TPS it is the black one. Make sure you don't have those switched.

I just had a similar problem, turn out, a few of the hoses for the evap system were shot. Do you have a CEL. If you have a CEL with P0440, 441, 446, defienetly hoses for the evap system. It is likely that you put them in the wrong places.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was actually pulling a 446 before this whole escapade even started, haha. I will double check my connections tonight for other things though.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,638 Posts
That is the vacuum check valve (allows air to travel only in one direction). It goes to the butterfly vaccum canister under the stock airbox & supplies the vacuum to open the butterfly. Just cap the manifold port & yank the butterfly valve out of the airbox. Otherwise... you'll spend something like $50 for a used airbox to fix that.

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115457

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I rented an OBD-II scanner. I was getting misfire on cylinders 1 and 4, so I switched all my ignition coils around. I then pulled a VVT malfunction, and misfire on 1, 3, and 4. So, I pulled off the head cover, spun the crankshaft one revolution back to TDC, and realigned the cams again. After this was finished, I reset codes again, and started, still problems. I'm now getting misfire on ALL four cylinders, and a VVT malfunction code. :/

So...now I'm stuck. How many revolutions does the crankshaft make before the camshafts align perfectly again? I've turned it to TDC and re-done timing 3 times now.

·
Registered
562 Posts
cicatrize said:
So...now I'm stuck. How many revolutions does the crankshaft make before the camshafts align perfectly again?
2 times, tdc with the cam timing marks aligned #1 (closest cylinder to cam gears) on compression stroke ( valve are fully closed) you should have valve clearance on that cylinder. The other tdc is overlap stroke which all the valves on that cylinder are part way open{ no clearance].I check tdc with the spark plug out and a plastic straw sticking in the hole to look at it moving up and down to make sure tdc mark is correct.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Also you could try painting a straight line on the cam gear from the front to the back in the center and make sure that line is prefectly straight when in the engine.I dont have a manual but I think there is something about locking the vvt in a certain position.BTW the vvt cel means the intake cam is off timing, the cel doesnt monitor the exhaust cam.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well, either way...I just went down and did one revolution on the crank, reinstalled cams, did 2 revolutions to make sure timing was on, and the engine still wouldn't idle. Didn't check CEL though because it takes too damn long to set them and the engine gets hot as hell when it finally throws the CEL, but it still sounded like misfires. So...I put it back to where I had it and did 2 revolutions on the crank again to make sure I was lined up, and I was, and it still won't start, and it's giving VVT, multiple misfire, and misfire 1,2,3,and 4. It looks like I'm going to have to take this stupid f*cking thing to a mechanic, which I can't afford.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.