NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, need your help. I actually don't own a celica but I know a friend who has a 2000 GTS. He's had this evap problem for quite some time now. He would have just dropped it off at the dealership and have them fix it but he needs the car everyday and they would have taken their sweet ass time as usual. So I don't really know what it is but seems like their is a fuel leak somewhere... We can smell fuel even from inside the car and especially in the left rear tire well. There is also a check engine light most likely from the evap problem but I don't recall exactly what the error code was. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
smoke test it and search all over for where the smoke is coming out.

tell me when you find it cause i have an evap code as well =P

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,639 Posts
Check the hoses/piping from the fuel tank and charcoal canister to the fuel filler neck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check the hoses/piping from the fuel tank and charcoal canister to the fuel filler neck.
Ok I'll tell him to take a look. People been saying that the fuel tank will need to be dropped to most likely solve the problem. Is dropping the tank a PITA?

·
15,639 Posts
Uh, yeah. But, you can get to the majority of fuel tank connections via the access plate under the rear seat. You will find lines that run up the front of the driver's rear inner fender.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm is that easier to do because last night we took a quick look, too late to do any work. The fuel smell is definitely coming from the fuel pump which is directly above the exhaust shield underneath. So tonight we are going to unbolt the exhaust and take off the exhaust shield. That should give us a clear view of the fuel pump and maybe the culprit.

·
15,639 Posts
Fuel pump is on top of the tank, via the access panel. You will find the charcoal canister above the exhaust.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well we took off the exhaust, dropped the exhaust shield and had a good view of all the fuel lines and pump. Didn't see any leaks or anything wrong. But the strange thing is you will be able to clearly smell fuel but then a little bit later you can barely smell it, and then you smell it, this cycle repeats over and over. It isn't a constant strong fuel vapor smell. We really have no more ideas what to do now. He did mention he saw something where they smoke test the whole evap system to see where the leak is.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
i will make a post later on about the evap code in a seperate thread.
i have some info i got from work about trouble shooting the p0440 code.

smoke test it and search all over for where the smoke is coming out.

tell me when you find it cause i have an evap code as well =P
how much is the tool to do a smoke test?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
enough.. lol. it's a whole machine that you hook up to the green knob in your engine bay. probably cheaper to have it investigated at a shop to see where it's coming from then do the rest of the work yourself.

imo. if it's on/off smell, it probably has something to do with the canister purge as it builds up in the canister before it's released. check the lines going from the tank to the canister.

·
15,639 Posts
Yep, it sounds like a hose or line around the canister.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.