NewCelica.org Forum banner

EVO 8 and Mitsubishi's HP LIES!!!

2K views 51 replies 28 participants last post by  Griffin 
#1 ·
Shiv @ Vishnu Performance is one of the most respected Tuners in the Subaru WRX community. Here is an intersting fact he found about the new Mitsubishi EVO 8.

Read it and weep if you paid over MSRP:

(if this is a re-post sorry)

Shiv @ Vishnu Performance

The three US EVO VIIIs we've tested (under nearly identical conditions) put down right around 180 wheel hp. That's only ~20 more wheel hp than a stock WRX. Hence my concern about the 271hp rating. Thes dyno figures would suggest closer to 255hp, IMHO.

A few interesting findings:

Peak hp occurs around 5500rpm, not the claimed 6500rpm. Peak torque is right around 4000rpm.

One of the three cars we tested ran 2psi less boost (17 tapering to 15 vs. 19 tapering to 17) than the others. It had a one month earlier build date (1/03 vs. 2/03), FWIW. It ended up making the same power as the other two higher boosting EVOs but with slightly less torque in the low end and midrange.

Our EVO VIII, for some reason, only has a 1bar MAP sensor. Strange seeing it in a turbo car that runs 19psi of boost. I would expect nothing less than a 3bar unit for the car. With the 1 bar MAP sensor, it maxs out (reads a full 5v) at 0psi of boost. Bizarre and pretty useless, as far as I can see. While I didn't check the other cars we tested, I suspect they are similarly equipped.

The car is especially knock prone at certain engine speeds. At least it is on the lovely 91 octane gas we run in CA.

The car runs a frequency-based MAF sensor. Not the usual 0-5v types seen on most other cars.

The car is under-advanced above 5500rpm. Adding just 1-2 degrees of timing at high rpm bumped hp by over 10 wheel hp without any detectible knock.

The EVO VIII's factory ECU is a bit more sophisticated that the older EVOs which had no type of active knock correction or smart ignition learning capabilities. Even the processor on the board is bigger These new ECU smarts will present more complications on the tuning end. But that's what we do so we consider it a challenge.

The EVO, like the WRX, is suseptible to MAF misreadings through intake modifications. We measured some pretty wild MAF errors when trying out different intake configurations.

There's a lot more info we've dug up during our tune-a-thon. Some of it we'd like to keep to ourselves for now and some we'll elaborate on on our website (http://www.vishnutuning.com/lancer.htm). There's nothing there right now but a pretty picture. Give us a couple of days and it'll start filling out. It's past midnight and we just came back from our first test drive of our mildly tuned EVO Lots more info to come....

Cheers,
Shiv
www.vishnutuning.com

PS. As mentioned earlier, all testing on all EVOs were done on 91 octane gas. I did test our car with slightly higher octane (by mixing in a couple of gallons of 100 octane) and found significant gains (6-9 more wheel hp). But still shy, IMHO, of the factory's claim. I think the car's short gearing, great turbo response, and strong midrange torque make it feel quite a bit more powerful than it really is. Still an awesome car. And it's bound to get only better as we get a handle on how to make more power safely.

PSS. Also, keep in mind that these numbers are from our Dyno Dynamics dyno which, while arguably more accurate, reads more conservatively (lower) than Dynopacks and Dynojets. While it's the best dyno for tuning, it's not the best "big number generator" that some people like."

#3 ·
Maybe it was because of the intercooler, maybe mitsu ran the intercooler ice cold and vishnu perf ran it under normal conditions? Thats a lot of power lost though, damn.

#4 ·
SRT4 is fasta!!!

#7 ·
There are a few types of AWD Dyno's. The mustang dyno is notorious for putting out numbers that are very high. Like Shiv the AWD Dyno they run has lower numbers than other but is the most accurate AWD dyno around. Heres the thing that gets me. A stock WRX dyno's on the same 91 octane on Shivs dyno at around 160awhp. About a 60awhp drive loss. The mitsu is claimed at 270hp... they three on the same 91 octane and get a 180awhp out of it. Thats almost 100awhp drivetrain loss. Also, look... only 20whp faster than a WRX. Man the STi is going to clobber the EVO-8. Mitsu keep the 8 give us the 7!!!!

#8 ·
Oh yeah and Jotan... better get used to Shiv... hes going to be the best Tuner in the US.

#10 ·
oh yeah... and make sure people arent going FWD or RWD converted Dynos it.

Top Secret and Signal are the Top Japanese Tuners correct.

But Vishnu is one of the top North American Tuners.

#16 ·
WRX 160whp and EVOVIII 180whp? ****, I thought I shouldn't even try against those cars on the highway, but now...damn. I could probably either walk or stay about even with either one of those in my current stock form, especially the WRX. Once I get this downpipe in my garage on it's all over though.

#20 ·
FriedRice said:
nissan did it with the sentra SE-R (pre-production, then rite before official release they corrected it..((i think not sure)) )....hyundai did it with a lotta cars too

not sure if that was what ur asking but.. yea....
Good call. I remember all the fuss created when it was discovered that both Nissan ( with the SE-R Spec V ) and Hyundai (with almost their entire line) were overrating the HP of their cars. Luckily, Toyota didn't have these problems with either the 1zz nor 2zz Celicas. :thumbup:

#21 ·
its so easy to get different numbers from an all wheel drive intercooled vehicle why even try to make controversy... At least the difference isnt as much as what hyundai is doing.

#23 ·
I for one am not jumping to any conclusions. I go to evolutionm.net alot so i know all about this. Ive read many reasons why it might be true. Basically i wanna see this thing on the quarter mile. If it does what its supposed to then im happy. If not, then some of the other turbos out there are moving up my list!

#25 ·
Da Kine Guy said:

180whp from a $30k car is crap. Even 200whp from a $30k car designed for speed is crap nowadays.
Then again, it's all about how it performs. If the US-spec EVO is the all-around performer that Mitsubitshi is saying it is, then those dyno numbers mean very little and that $30K price will be on par with the other similarly-priced performance cars on the market today. We'll haveta wait and see until we get more hard facts on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.