NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok my friend's evo VIII exploted not long ago we dont know how or why but it did, but the whole front is untouched the engine is intact the tranny, turbo, etc. still work perfectly. the towing company is selling that "piece of junk" for 300 dollars. so i wanted to know if i can fit that engine in my celi so i can buy it. i know it is a 4WD but there was a conversion of a celica to a 4WD using corolla's parts. like i said everything under the hood its unharmed. so i still got the ECU from the evo. can anybody help me.

thanks

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
explosion means some form of uncontrolled energy burst, the only place that would happen is engine. Did he crash it into the tree or something, if that is the case it is not exploded.
Anyways have you taken the measurement of the engine? You know how heavy it is and how big it is? You will not only need custom brackets done you will also need to modify the suspension for that extra weight. That extra weight would kill your cars nibleness so you would have crappy cornering. Don't even bother doing this project, it is more headache than it is worth.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I dont think its that bad of an idea, but do your research first. As long as the engines are farily close in weight you'll be ok, I don't think the difference will be that staggering. Now scoring that engine for $300 is a plus, but its gonna cost you a lot to put it in, just know that. If your gonna do this I hope your a very good backyard mechanic, because a shop will probably charge you in the range of $10k to put the engine in....and if you go ahead and convert to AWD, your looking more at $20k.

Just know this is not a weekend project, it will take you months to complete it.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
boost said:
ok my friend's evo VIII exploted not long ago we dont know how or why but it did, but the whole front is untouched the engine is intact the tranny, turbo, etc. still work perfectly. the towing company is selling that "piece of junk" for 300 dollars. so i wanted to know if i can fit that engine in my celi so i can buy it. i know it is a 4WD but there was a conversion of a celica to a 4WD using corolla's parts. like i said everything under the hood its unharmed. so i still got the ECU from the evo. can anybody help me.

thanks
Did the gas tank catch on fire or something? Otherwise it must have been the engine that exploded. Either way, explosion would have meant fire. So how did the engine bay not burn up?

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
jst07 said:
I dont think its that bad of an idea, but do your research first. As long as the engines are farily close in weight you'll be ok, I don't think the difference will be that staggering.
We have aluminum engine, the difference is going to be very staggering.

·
Registered
521 Posts
cool2miketlu said:
We have aluminum engine, the difference is going to be very staggering.
And the evo, cast iron block then?

That would do it if thats the case.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the fuel tank exploted i have no idea how but it did. now i know it is alot of work but the engine is brand new its got 15,000 miles on it and the fact thats an evo engine is great so if i cant fit it into my celi i'll try other car. like the eclipse GXT. but i love to have it in my celi. n like jst07 said its not a bad idea so if anybody has any idea as how can i accomplish this i'll appreciate the help. n if is just imposible u guys think i can get the turbo kit out if this car n put it into the celi.

thanks for the info guys

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
gtspaul2zzge said:
Buy the car

Salvage what you can

Sell it on eBay or on an EVO forum

Modify your celica
:werd: youll make a small fortune off parting an evo out. spoiler, panels, doors, rims.. who would pass this up? after the cars junk scrap the frame.
easier to just build ur celicas engine and up the boost!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
jesse, you say no to this, but ts not true, it will cost a sh*tload, but its possible, and for the ones who say that its not worth it because of the weight, well, thats all on what he's planning on dong with the car. yes, it will add like 200lbs to the front, but look at all those who swapped a 3sgte in theirs, that's just as heavy as the 4g63. they've made theirs work pretty damn good. correct me if i'm wrong : )

if you ask me, you should buy it for 300. if front end is perfect on it, you can sell the panels, hood, and bumper for more than what you bought the car for. and the 4g63 itself, being from the evos and not from eclipses will be worth wayyy more. thats should be like 2 grand for it and the drivetrain there, atleast!

so buy it, part it out, use the money on a turbo kit and all, and have the same ammount of power output as you would have from the planned "swap" and be done with it. oh, and if you were to do the swap, and keep it fwd, why use a toyota trans? just get a eclipse gs-t trans. i believe those are fwd turboed motors that should bolt right to the block

ps: it will take just as much custom work to put the 4g63 n as it would the 3sgte, and both are dimensionally close in size, so, yeah, its possible

·
Registered
58 Posts
omabramo said:
jesse, you say no to this, but ts not true, it will cost a sh*tload, but its possible, and for the ones who say that its not worth it because of the weight, well, thats all on what he's planning on dong with the car. ...
I think the point is, if you have to ask a bunch of strangers on a forum if it's "possible" to put an evo engine in a Celica, then you CAN'T do it!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
oh, and, has anyone else ever thought: why use a 3s over the 4g or the sr20? just to keep it all toyota? wouldn't parts be cheaper here for the 4g than all the others? and can anyone please explain the main differences in the 3 other than their manufacturers. all of them seem identical to me, and have proven to make crazy ammounts of power

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Dude - you are misinformed - only 2 people have sucessfully transplanted a 3S and both spent a fortune going it. No-one that knows anything on here is reccomending that swap either. However that being said I would swap the 3S way before the 4G or SR20 for the simple reason that theres already a decent 2WD transaxle that bolts up to it.

·
Registered
19,933 Posts
boost said:

thanks
Don't listen to these guys. I recommend you do this. Buy this 4WD Corolla you speak of to do the conversion. You can shoehorn any engine in. At worst, you'll have to move your firewall in. No big deal.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
wow this thread is really going at it! i wouldn't do it bro! it is waste of time and lots of money! buy it, part it out, sell the parts, engine, tranny if its good, and you have enough money for a coplete hass turbo which will give you a HUGE boost compare to a stock power.... who needs all this headache tryign to figure out if the ingine going to fit or not, so just do what the "smart" peeps say and just buy it, part it out and you good to go! ohh yeh dont forget to sell the parts you part out =) other then that dont WASTE ur TIME!!!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
if everything escaped unscathed except for the gas tank, why can't you just replace that and drive around in an evo viii? this seams so obvious to me, there must be a reason why it hasn't been suggested and i'm just an as$hole.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
BobtheBuilder said:
if everything escaped unscathed except for the gas tank, why can't you just replace that and drive around in an evo viii? this seams so obvious to me, there must be a reason why it hasn't been suggested and i'm just an as$hole.
Shush - when he asks can we build it you're supposed to just say "Yes we can!"

:D

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
It's more cost effective if you sold your celica and use that money + the mod money to buy yourself a Evo. With the rest of the money left over, go treat yourself to a nice steak dinner.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts