NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I got up under my '00 celi the other day cause I am having an exhaust leak somewhere. Turns out there is a lot of air leaking out of the flange where the manifold meets the midpipe. So I went and picked up a gasket for it from autoparts and then pulled the flange pieces apart and when I finally get the gasket out it realize I bought the wrong gasket. So I try to put the old one on just to keep it going until I can get a new one and when I was putting the bolts back in I stripped the threads out of one and its cylinder. :(

So I am now looking for a new gasket AND 2 new bolts but all I can find are the GT gaskets (have an inner diameter of 3.4" I believe and my gasket has an ID of 3.8"). I am not sure why it is so hard to find a GTS gasket, especially since all the diagrams I have seen show that the GT and GTS use the same midpipe section, and only their canister section is different.

So now I am lost, I found a "GTS" gasket on MonkeyWrenchRacing, but I am not sure if it is the right gasket (I am going to call them tuesday and ask). But even if it is the right gasket I cant find the bolts.

So my questions are:
Why is the gasket so hard to find?
Does anyone know where I can get the proper gasket and bolts?
whats the best way to take care of the threads in the cylinder I stripped?

More info on the threads. I had a very hard time trying to compress the springs on the bolts enough for the threads to get started. So I took an impact wrench to it. In hindsight that was a horrible idea (live and learn?), but the damage is done. The cylinder that is stripped is on the manifold so it is not like I can take it out to work on it. I am going to try to use a tap to restore the threads, but if that doesn't work I am considering drilling and tapping it to a larger size and then using a helicoil to mount the same size bolts. Not sure if drilling and tapping in cast iron is going to be an easy/good thing to do.

Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
the gasket is not hard to find at all. i have about 5 of them laying around. they come in the engine rebuild kits.

part number is 17451‑22050

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Just posted this in another thread - was it yours?

I went through this on my '00 GT-S. Bought the following and had it professionally installed:

Amazon:
Fel-Pro 61190 Exhaust Pipe Gasket $14.28

Auto Parts Warehouse:
Part #: RB675221
Dorman Exhaust Flange Bolt and Spring Exhaust Flange Bolt and Spring Celica|GTS
Dorman
Qty: 1.00
Price: $ 9.51

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2K it might have been, is your celi a GTS and did you have the gasket in the flange that connects the manifold to the midpipe replaced?

The problem that I am having though is that that piece does not fit. I have bought that gasket 61190 and it is too small. I measured the Inner Diameter on it and it is 3.4" where the gasket i pulled from my exhaust flange is around 3.8".

I am not sure if there is a difference between the upstream flange gasket and the downstream flange gasket, and it seems to me that there shouldnt be, but I know that it doesnt fit.

Another option I have considered is the previous owner replaced stock exhaust but it sure looks stock to me.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
GT-S. And, as I understand it, that is the proper part for the gasket that goes between the header and midpipe. The gasket that goes between the midpipe and the axle-back is different.

I remember when I did this myself a number of years ago that the old one was shrunken and falling apart. Perhaps that's part of the wear? My leak's been gone since the work was done, thought it's only been a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the Part numbers 2k. I am ordering a the bolts and I will try out the gaskets and then post a reply on here when I am done with the results. It might take awhile though (I am in school).

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Good luck!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for your help. Smaay the part number you gave me was toyota's official part number which was useful for getting an idea of the part specs... but everywhere I looked that had them was charging 60+ without shipping. So I stopped by the advanced autoparts store and looked tried my luck one last time with the part number you gave me 2k and it seems to be what I need. I am not sure why both nappa and auto zone failed to get me the right part. I actually went back and looked at the part nappa gave me and it had the same part number... musta been one of the cases of mislabeling.

anyways, I am going to install it soon. I have a few things to say concerning the whole process of changing out the gasket. Hopefully help prevent someone from stripping the bolts and making more work for themselves.

FIRST: the best way to avoid the probability of stripping the bolt is to use c-clamps to hold the midpipe to the manifold. If you don't, then the springs on the bolts are going to make contact with the mounting plate before the bolt has a chance to get the threads started. And from the angle that the bolts need to go in, it is very hard to press on the bolts and tighten them.

SECOND: when you are re-tightening the bolts after you change the gasket, make sure that the gasket is not getting pinched by the flange. When I was tightening it up I realized that this is why I had an exhaust leak (cause it happened to me).

THIRD: this is way easier if you have 2 people. It took me all of 30 minutes to jack up the car and then separate the flange, pull the gasket off and inspect it, put it back on (because I had the wrong one), strip a bolt, find a temporary bolt to replace it, and take the car back down and a whole bunch of other stuff because I had my friend helping me. When you are trying to separate the pipes to get the gasket out, it seriously helps to have one person apply a bit of force to the canister with their feet while the other pulls the gasket off. If it is only one person you cant do that on your own and you will most likely have to drop the mid section.

I think that is all I have to say on this, I might post again when I am done fixing the mess I made.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One last post on here as I am now done with my exhaust leak and all seems to be working well. It turns out that I didn't even put the new gasket on. I tapped out the hole and fortunately there were a few threads left for the bolt to grab. Not too happy with it but it seems to be holding. When I get the time I am going to try to put a nut on the back just to take some of the pressure off the flange threads.

The problem was that the old gasket had gotten pinched in the flange so there was a gap. All I did was tighten it up and the leak stopped. so if you are wondering, the stops (flare) on the bolts need to be touching the mount so that the gasket has enough pressure applied to it to seal the exhaust gasses in.

DONE!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts