NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going for 18 "wheels for my GTS. Been looking what others have gone for and my results are 18/8 with 215-225/40/18 with et 35+.

I have option for 18/7,5 with 225/40/18 et: 35
Second one is 18/8,5 with 225/40/18 et: 40

So I'd like to hear from you guys and your experience what offsets suits best with 8,5 or 7,5? Any problems with tires rubbing?

Will post pictures when come up with decision.

·
Registered
430 Posts
It all really depends on what type of look you're going for. Many wheel sizes will fit therefore many looks can be achieved.

Your suspension set up will also have a significant impact on the way the wheels fit.

For instance at stock height 18" wheels can be as low of an offset as you want without rubbing.. at an 8" width they'd just be sticking out of the fender at anything under about a 0 offset rear and a about a 15 offset front.
But if your car is much lower than stock you might rub if you ran offsets that low because obviously the fender would be closer to the tire.

The wheel sizes you mentioned will fit like so:

- 18x7.5 et: 35 will be aprox 25mm sunken inside the front fender / 45mm sunken inside the rear fender.

- 18x8.5 et: 40 will be aprox 17mm sunken inside the front fender / 23mm sunken inside the rear fender.

Neither of these set ups will rub unless you have a really low car or really big tires.. and even then a 7.5" width may not rub.

Now; my personal experience/opinions are as follows:

I think these cars look much better lower and with wider wheels. If I were you I'd go 18x9 et:30-35 then space out the rear with a 20mm spacer. That will put all wheels about 5mm from the fenders.

As a point of reference here's a picture of my car with 18x9.5 et:25f / et:10r 215/40 tires (I'd call this a fairly aggressive set up):

1 - 2 of 2 Posts