NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, need some input here. Beginning last year, I have been experiencing more and more brake fade during auto-x runs. After a while I came to the conclusion it was because I was running steelie wheels that have almost no way to let heat escape (as opposed to the spaces between mags on the stock aluminum wheels, for example). It seemed like the fading was more apparent during extremely hot days, but during a test and tune yesterday it reared its head rather quickly again. Im am currently using DOT 4 fluid, with my original brake pads and rotors. I have had the pads checked, and have been told I still have some life left in them, as they arent giving me the squeal/grinding warnings yet. The car has 95000 miles on it. Could it be that the pads are warn down enough that theres not as much material there to absorb heat anymore, and thats why they fade? Or could it just be the fact that the steelies trap more heat in the wheel well? Any input would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
How long our your typical courses, and at what speeds? GT or GTS?

New pads won't hurt and are cheap, I know when I put new ones on the result was better pedal feel.

Scott

·
Registered
209 Posts
On a 30 second course you are on the brakes 3 maybe 4 times with a top speed under 50. If you are experiencing fade under those conditions then I would imagin your experincing fade all the time Do you bleed the brakes often? I changed my pads and rotors at 85,000 and to be honest they didn't need it, the brakes are really over built on this car. I ran steelies on 70sec courses all last summer and never experienced fade. Interesting problem!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Under those conditions I'd be looking for what's broken, I couldn't get enough heats in the brakes to fade them in 30 seconds (figure a top speed of 120 mph then hit the brakes, I've got one good stop in them).

Are you experienceing a long pedal, soft pedal, hard pedal?

Do you left foot brake at all?

Scott

·
Banned
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
guess it seems softer....im applying the pedal but the brakes just seem less effective...and the pedal travel isnt constant...almost feels like the ABS coming on....but i dont think im in situations where the ABS should nessessarily be cominig on so much. Guess it could just be the faulty part in the drivers seat....

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
replace the pads and bleed the brakes.

A soft pedal can be dut to a lot of things, but brake fade is one of the last I'd look at.

Boiling the fluid will put the pedal to the floor in a hurry, fading the pads will result in a bit of a hard pedal feeling (more pressure for less stopping).

Is the master cylinder up to snuff? Will the pedal sink if you just sit there and press the brakes?

Scott

·
Banned
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
No, the pedal feels like normal if I just put my foot down.

And If I do decide to do the brakes, should I just go ahead and do the fronts only? The rears dont wear down as fast (i thought) and the are more expesive than the fronts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.