NewCelica.org Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
I saw in the picture that there was a red wire going from one point to another, is that a modification? or is it like that already? Do I need to do that also? Or do I just swap the mosfet transistor? I really want to get this fixed as soon as I possible can so I can enjoy my new blue led's!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
also, does anyone have any spare transistors left over???? i see that digikey doesn't seem to have any in stock, and I have no idea where else to get one. If anyone knows where to find them please let me know!!!!!

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,247 Posts
I saw in the picture that there was a red wire going from one point to another, is that a modification? or is it like that already? Do I need to do that also? Or do I just swap the mosfet transistor?
The red wire had been added to ground the lights on high because of the failed transistor. It was removed when the transistor was replaced.

·
Registered
122 Posts
well thats good to hear, so the additional grounding isn't necessary after the transistor has been replaced eh? because I don't want to chance it happening again.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
well thats good to hear, so the additional grounding isn't necessary after the transistor has been replaced eh? because I don't want to chance it happening again.
If you don't use the transistor, you can just use the red wire to by pass it..
It's gona work, but you'll loose the dimmer funcion....

·
Registered
122 Posts
I really want my dimming function, since I just finally got it wired into my stereo last week, im really enjoying it now, lol. I'm waiting on pm from 2way about the transistors, because I think he's one of the few places I can get one from. Hopefully he replies quickly, because I want that transistor as soon as I can get it!!

·
15,247 Posts
since I just finally got it wired into my stereo last week, im really enjoying it now, lol.
Probably what blew it. The dimming on the Celica is the reverse of what most HU's require. Most HU's want varying +12V. The Celica varies the path to GND.

·
Registered
122 Posts
2way, you've got payment!

·
Registered
122 Posts
just got my transistor in from 2way and got it soldered in. re-installed the gauge cluster and still have the same problem i had before. none of my hvac lights/hazard/cig lighter light up still. Although my gauges have regained their full dimming capability, I am at a loss for the rest of the problem. If anyone has any idea what my problem might be please let me know.....

·
Registered
122 Posts
i mean if my dimming works, then nothing could have went wrong with the replacing of the transistor could it? Is it possible that the tab isn't down well enough and its not grounding solidly? I just am trying to think of any explanation for why I am the exception to this fix..... please help

·
15,247 Posts
You probably still have the original problem on the outboard dimming circuit that blew the transistor in the 1st place.

·
Registered
122 Posts
then that must mean that the original problem is that my headunit has the white/green dimming wire spliced into the orange illumination wires in my aftermarket wiring harness. if I detach the white/green wire from the orange ones, should that fix the problem? or have I already burnt the brand new transistor you just sent me? good god i hope thats not the case.... would there be any real way to tell if it was burnt?

·
Registered
122 Posts
well i just detached the dimming wire from the head unit, and it didnt affect anything. now im worried i already burned out my new transistor. although my gauge dimming still works, so i think that means i didnt burn it our right? really running out of ideas here...

·
Registered
122 Posts
i'm wondering if running the red wire would provide the "solution" for my console lights problem. at this point i would give up my dimming for my lights to just work. i realy want to see my new LED's in action, but im not going to install them until this is fixed....

·
Registered
122 Posts
ran the red wire today, all lights functioning again, and the dimming to my gauges still works. Thank god.... now all i need to do is put in my new blue LED's!!

·
15,247 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
thanks 2way worked for me 2011 rav4
feel like i should make a donation
your work saved me a lot of cash and headache

·
15,247 Posts