NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yeah. I've searched thru the forums on all 'rattling' topics but i couldn't find one. The car seems to run just fine but i just noticed while on uphill, and while I maintain speed (e.g. cruise) around 50-60mph (2800 to 3000rpm at 5th gear), there is this very faint chain like rattling sound from the engine. it sounded like engine is bogging? but very very faint.

Is this a bad engine? or chain tensioner? or maybe it's the tranny? but i'm sure it sounded like coming from the engine. HELP!

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
how many miles do you have. is it ping kinda sound? if its a ping kinda sound its your belt tensioner assembly. Mine did a ping kinda sound in low gear at about 3k rpms once i changed it i didnt have it anymore.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
trd: can you describe what a ping sound it?

guys don't scare me... engine is running fine. this happens only during uphill. and not all the time uphill... only on rare occasions. and very very faint rattling sound.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,667 Posts
Try better gas;)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i fill it up using REG (87) at a woroco gas station. i'll try to fill it up using PLUS (89) next time. I hope it's just that. i'm scared sh!tless.... finally found a car that i love don't want it to die on me

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
A pinging sound is when you have too low a octane for gas. Its a faint tick/click or however you want to describe it. You have your valve tick sound, spun rod bearing click sound that gets louder as you go higher in the rpms then theres the ping sound. Its faint and a suttle type tick sound usually goes away if you drop in gear and raise the rpm level. Easiest way to find out if its your belt tensioner assembly is to look at you belt area. at the top of the belt there is a pully/tensioner with a shock on it. if the shock is oily or damp looking then more than likely the tensioner is shot and thats whats causing your faint pinging sound at low rpm.

·
15,667 Posts
From what little I can gleam from the 'net..... they sound a bit on the shady side. Best to stick with a "top tier" fuel supplier. Compare the price of a "top tier" regular to their 89;)

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Texaco
MFA Oil Co.
Conoco
Phillips 66
Entec Stations
Shell
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Co.
Turkey Hill Minit Markets
Mileage Stations
Chevron Canada
Shell Canada
Petro-Canada
Sunoco Canada

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
trd: thanks. i'll look at this pulley tom.

i have woroco regular as the cheapest i can see near my place. they are only $3.29 per gallon... imagine.

i'll BP next, which is 2nd near me. i think they're reputable :)

·
15,667 Posts
^Yep, I usually recommend 89 for a GT. But, a top tier 87 is probably better than the off-brand stuff. I'd also toss in some injector cleaner if you've been running that Woroco stuff for a while.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts