NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this helps someone else too:
For the past 6 months my GTS has been bogging just after 5K RPM, and then running OK when it hit lift. The only mods I have are the TRD exhaust and the TRD filter in the stock airbox. I cleaned the MAF sensor and the problem is fixed. Both the "wires" were covered with a black, oily looking grit that came off easily with alcohol and a Q-tip. The temperature sensor also was covered on the inlet side. The filter has about 15K miles on it and has not been cleaned yet. This is the second time in 28K miles I've cleaned the MAF sensor, the first time was just preventative maintenance. I'm going to clean it about once a year now.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
by replacing our filters with higher flowing aftermarket ones, we are increasing the chance for dirt to get in there, and if you have a filter which uses oil to collect dirt, then the oil can also coat the MAF as already stated......this is mainly why this is becoming a regular maintenance issue for all of us....

however, I also agree with spectra_freak with with aftermarket filters on other cars, cleaning the maf doesn't usually need to be done.

I've come to the conclusion the celica engine is delicate and high maintenance and we all just have to deal with it.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Wires? What wires? Maybe I don't know what the MAF is? Isn't it right after the filter box, removed with two screws?

I have a rough acceleration problem when not at WOT that I'm starting to troubleshoot and yanked that part and cleaned it with electronics cleaner. It's tough to describe, but it's a part with something that looks like an oversized q-tip with a hollow tip - all black. The only wires are at the connector which is outside the airflow area and subject to grime, I suppose. Is this the part you're talking about??

Thanks!

·
Registered
791 Posts
look up inside, there are two wires buried in the upper portion. Very difficult to see. You are just cleaning the air temp sensor. There are pics of it if you search for "maf(s) cleaning"

·
Registered
161 Posts
maf's are very sensitve to crud, and this is also why K&N and other companies tell you not to over oil your filters because all the filter oil can be sucked on to the maf sensor. In some other cars MAF sensors actually have a quick burn off cycle everytime the car turns on, power is applied to the thin wire and in most cases it can get hot enough to glow orange. This burns all the crap off of it, of course that's what you're doing with q tips and alcohol :)

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,866 Posts
Dirty wire:

Clean wire:

There are also two small delicate wires in one of the sides of the main shaft (black part with the hole in the middle) on the MAFS. You need to be careful when cleaning these.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These two pictures show the temp sensor. The "wires" can be seen by looking into the base of the unit with the main shaft pointing at you. You will need a flashlight to see them as they are inside the body of the sensor housing. They look like two small metallic resistors. These are the actual MAF part and are what really need to be cleaned.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yes, clean the wires way up inside the MAF sensor. These are the wires you have to be very careful with. The air temp sensor only solves part of the problem.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
also very important, that portion of the MAF you see in the pictures, is really not the delicate and important piece that's making our cars run crappy.

The part that is causing our cars to run crappy can't be seen in a picture. You need to hold the MAF upside down and shine a flashlight in there to see it, and when cleaning be super super careful, cause those wires are very delicate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.