NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The timing chain tensioner is at the back of the engine, passenger side, right next to the serpentine belt tensioner strut, below the valve cover. It's held onto the engine block by 2 x 10 mm nuts. This is a popular spot for small leak in the 2ZZ engine, 1 drop a day would foul the driveway. So I wanted to fix it.
With 10 mm ratcheting wrench I took out the 2 nuts. Pulled the tensioner out, but it ran into the bracket of the belt tensioner strut, and would not come out all the way.

I loosened the 17 mm nut that holds the bracket to the engine block with a flat racheting wrench with another wrench extension at the end for leverage. This bolt was hard. I backed the bolt out only 2 to 3 mm, being careful to leave enough clearance with the engine bay to remove the wrench and reverse it for the tightening step. Later model years (2002-2005) may have had a new bracket design which does not interfere with the timing tensioner, and it can be removed quiclly

With the bolt backed out, the bracket neede to be prided out with the tire iron or a long flat head screwdriver. Gave it a couple knocks. The timing chain tensioner cleared the bracket and popped out. I compressed the plunger and locked it in place, put a new O ring on the tensioner cylinder, rubbed a little grease on it to make sure it seats flush. I added RTV sealant at the base of the cylinder to double seal the cavity. Inserted the cylinder back into the cavity and tightened the 2 x10 mm nuts. Be careful not to overtorque as you can strip the Aluminum studs.

Tightened the 17 mm mounting bolt back into the engine block.

Checked to make sure serpentine belt is on correctly, chain tensioner seated properly ect.

Jigger the engine by quickly turning on and off ignition key. That should release the plunger to open out and press against the timing chain. Jigger the engine a couple times to make sure the timing belt was in correct position with tension.

Turn on ignititon and listen to any noise from the timing chain. If chattering, timing belt may have jumped teeth on cam shafts. Turn off engine and plan to do a timing belt assembly, but this is very unlikely because you have not touched or removed the timing chain. Just be careful and check as it could damage pistons and valves. If timing chain sounds normal then the tensioner is good.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts