NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, not sure how many ppl are interested in a aftermarket radiator, but i emailed fluidyne, same ppl that custom made Hotchkis celica radiator and this was there reply. So i guess if there is a interest we can get a very nice readiator added to the parts available to us. Also will show once again that celica owners are serious about performance as the next car owners they make products for.

The main reason for us not to develop any particular radiator would be the fact that we don't get very many requests for it. This would be the case with the Celica. I have received maybe 2 or 3 inquiries about this model, and that is not enough interest for us to warrant spending the money and the time to develop it. We need to have orders for 30-50 units before we decide to proceed with it's development. Developing a new direct-fit part is not as easy as you assume it is. The development time is usually about 3 months or so, and involves a lot of Engineering work, and several test fits to assure fitment.

My guess if this was to go through, anyone living near them, im guessing cali would get a chance for the prototype model and discount price...who knows??

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I've never erally had water temp problems, just oil temperatures. I guess the water cooled turbo guys would like this though.

·
Registered
772 Posts
It's a good idea for anything tuned for max performance, more power=more heat as a byproduct... I was wondering about a radiator myself... I don't have a temp gauge hooked up yet, but I can tell the 2zz runs way hotter than any of my v8's did, I can cook lunch on the cam cover for a demonstration if you like.

did they have a rough estimate for a price on that, or didn't that come up in the discussion?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
"We need to have orders for 30-50 units"

This is the part that kills us. There arn't going to be 50 people from this board interested/able at one time. Total celica owners, sure.... but there is no good way to contact them all.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Liqquid
did they have a rough estimate for a price on that, or didn't that come up in the discussion?
nah price didnt come up. I know getting ppl on board for this is going to be hard, but no harm in trying;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
SARD has one already its a bit pricy though if you want info on it please PM me we can import them in from japan

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea i was interested in the SARD until I saw the price, then saw the price for these for other applications, and was like damn this im writting them.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Originally posted by soceur

Fluidyne:
I have received maybe 2 or 3 inquiries about this model, and that is not enough interest for us to warrant spending the money and the time to develop it.
lol and I would be 1 of the 2 or 3 inquiries. I asked them at SEMA, and I got the same response: not enough visible market for a sure profit, yep they were straight-up honest.

However, I did then ask about a custom job and they said no problem...they'll just use one of their radiators for another import and make brackets for the Celica so it can be bolted on instead of welded hehe. Then I asked how much and they said maybe $200 on top of the price of the radiator. Me: hey that's not bad at all.

soceur, you can try to generate interest and show it to Fluidyne (even 30-50 interested Celica owners), but even then I don't think they would go forward. I think they were being diplomatic. They told me in person a custom bracket job would be easy so I don't buy that bit about 3 mos to make sure it fits right. Just like the response you got over email, the impression I got from them was that they felt there was no money in having a few sales here and there to warrant a Celica model.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Originally posted by Liqquid
I don't have a temp gauge hooked up yet, but I can tell the 2zz runs way hotter than any of my v8's did, I can cook lunch on the cam cover for a demonstration if you like.
lol yeah that's something I didn't think of...Celica could be great for tailgate parties...beer and portable hamburger maker...only those with clean engines invited.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
yes, nice pic of the Hotchkis Celica from their site...I downloaded it.

right, that's the point it won't take 3 mos to develop it if they really wanted to sell it. Fluidyne or Hotchkis obviously just took one of their normal Fluidyne radiators and made it fit through welding or whatever. Or maybe Fluidyne gave Hotchkis the industry hookup and made some custom brackets at no charge and shipped it out the next day haha.

And consider that Hotchkis and Fluidyne were only several booths away from each other at SEMA show in the Las Vegas Convention Center which has over 1.9 million square feet of usable space. The performance/racing section makes up the most of SEMA too.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Couple questions;

Do you want stock fan mounts?

Single 1" core, or do you want to see if we can fit 2 row? Does it need a 2 row? Probably not. The radiator already is a cross-
flow rad.

For supercharge\turbo applications, clearance issues?

Still use Air cond?

Figure out what you want or need. Yes, it will be more than $200.

If you are serious about this, step up to the plate.

We have everything here to do it in-house, and the car to boot!

We even have a Vibe!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts