NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy!

This weekend, a buddy and I changed the clutch and replaced the flywheel on my 2001 GT-S. The car has 120,000 miles. The buddy is a really experienced mechanic, who took some short-cuts to save time (he only pulled the axle shafts out of the transaxle, just left them hanging).

Anyways, after looking at this site, and reading about some people's bad luck with flywheel bolt shearing, I thought I'd get new OEM Flywheel bolts, to ensure that the old bolts didn't shear. My buddy said he always used the existing bolts at least one more time.

When I went to the local Toyota dealer, I found the new flywheel bolts were like $10 + apiece! Also, they weren't in stock! It would take 3 - 5 days to ship in. WTF?

So, I saw a mechanic there, doing something close by, and asked, "Do you ever use new Flywheel bolts?" His answer . . . " Nope, Never. We just reuse the old ones." huh?? okaaay, if you say so. How many times must have the dealer done the clutch/flywheel replacement and never have to replace the bolts, so they never keep the flywheel bolts in stock?

I saw the old bolts had been loctited (is that a word?) previously, and that it looked "red" so I got some red loctite, and used the old bolts. I don't think it said anything about loctite in the Toyota Celica manual. I used a cheapie new flywheel ($34 on Amazon) weighing in at 13.6 lbs, and a "Stage 1" Exedy clutch. A highly reliable local machine shop tole me they would charge $65 to resurface the old flywheel. According to the Celica manual, max tolerance for wear on the flywheel is only .003", so getting a new flywheel at that price was a no brainer.

I"m having to relearn using the clutch after 11 years! hehehe The clutch engagement point is now like an inch from the floor. I love it!!

Did the people who had the shearing problem loctite the bolts? Did they do the 90 degree thingee after the initial torque? I wonder.

But I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my flywheel bolts won't shear, because of info I saw here. My car is stock. I don't like to burn rubber. I don't race, but really like to go fast when it is safe to :) We will see . . . .

How many others here used the OEM bolts?

Thanks for your input!

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
I guess we'll know in a couple of months. :D

I have reused the old bolts 2 times. I do not recommend this though. I went ARP the last time.

·
It is known.
8,235 Posts
You're not supposed to reuse them from what I've been told and read. Better to be safe than sorry. I'd go and get some new flywheel bolts.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
it is recommended to use new ones, and i highly recommend ARP bolts because those can be re-used. However, i have re-used OEM bolts a few times and gotten away with it. if this is a daily driver with bolt on mods, i think you will be fine. just torque them to 36lbs and then turn them another 90 degrees

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
You're not supposed to reuse them from what I've been told and read. Better to be safe than sorry. I'd go and get some new flywheel bolts.
You definitely are SUPPOSED to get new ones BUT I have always reused them in every car :chuckles:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Loctite or not?

Thanks for your quick input!

Do many people use Locktite on the flywheel bolts?

It doesn't say anything about Loctite in the manual.
But the threads on the flywheel bolts I took out definitely had something red on them.

Red or Blue? What do you do?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am not sure if reusing the bolts was the cause, or not torquing them down, but I can show you what happens to your transmission if your flywheel bolts sheer off! This tranny was in the car, with the holes, for 75,000 miles. Gears 2 and 5 stopped working eventually.

·
Registered
380 Posts
OEM bolts lasted 4 times to me (+1 in factory). Today during flywheel install at step to turn 90 degrees many of them have broken. When i went more than 45 degrees I started feel that bolts go easier.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Always replace flywheel bolts they stretch slightly each time you torque them...it's cheaper than another teardown...always buy new flywheel bolts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No Problembo with clutch nuts and new ride comparison

Hi,
Thought I'd give an update . . .
6 years, 20k miles later

I haven't had any problems, clutch nuts didn't shear.
I'm not a person that likes to burn rubber, I like my tires to last a long time hehehe. I don't rev the engine up high and jump off the clutch. But it's not uncommon at all for the tires to make a little noise when I start off from a stop sign. In fact, sometimes, it's difficult not to sound like I'm accelerating hard from a stop light even though I'm not. I do like driving fast, and winding out the engine.

Because the Celica has more miles on it, I'm less inclined to take it on long trips. So I bought a 2011 power retractable hardtop Miata. It's fun. Lots of low end torque compared to the Celica. The Mazda manual suggests normally putting the transmission into 6th gear at 43 mph, which helps gas mileage. It feels a little faster than the Celica and putting down the top on a nice day is cool.

But I really like the Celica better. To me, the Celica is lots more fun to drive, feels more stable, handles better, has tons more storage space and has a bigger gas tank. I wish Toyota hadn't stopped making them.

Before buying the Miata, I did test drive the Toyota 86GT. I think they messed up putting that roof on the car. Without the sunroof that was available on the Celica, the 86GT's cabin felt kind of dark, closed in. I didn't like it.

I'll keep the 2001 Celica GTS until it dies, or I die hahaha. Love that car!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's not that you can't reuse the bolts...it's that they stretch just a bit when properly torqued meaning if you use them too long they can break....$10 a piece when your already in is far cheaper than several thousand when your flywheel comes apart and destroys your tranny....that's why you change them...just like if you did flywheel you should have put a new engine seal in($20)...while it's apart...it's cheap insurance....also...these cars have been discontinued for 15 years man lol....no they aren't gonna have stuff like that in stock lol....good luck man.
Celli up!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts