NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seems overall most of everyone likes or has fidanza f/w. i'm tryin to figure out wat about TRD i mean afterall its straight up toyota. i was wanting to to get myself the TRD f/w with a stage 2 clutch from southbend. any comments performance and price wise? should i follow thru?

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
That sounds like a good plan to me! :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Might as well go with TRD, it's warrantied and not that much heavier than Fidanza.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Celica GT Layne said:
seems overall most of everyone likes or has fidanza f/w. i'm tryin to figure out wat about TRD i mean afterall its straight up toyota. i was wanting to to get myself the TRD f/w with a stage 2 clutch from southbend. any comments performance and price wise? should i follow thru?
Go for it! :cool:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sweet! thanks for the comments! warrantied huh? i didnt know that plus i kno tha guys at a toyota dealership can we say under the table cheaper....

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
plannin on the injen CAI by the end of the summer. i've seen the dyno with it and its pretty good. but heard some negative things about it.

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,104 Posts
flywheel is great when revving in neutral...but dont expect any miracles once its actually in gear ;)

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
4,137 Posts
Would a flywheel, lets say as light as the fidanza one, be that bad for a daily drive? I hear it's a lot harder to go from a stop n stuff...

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
honestly i put a fidanza in my car and its ok, i think i may have picked up a bit on the accelleration, but im glad i got it cheap because its not worth the 400 bucks. Of course i went from turbo to stock so maybe thats why i don't knowtice it as much. Southbend clutch is great though :)

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,104 Posts
It's not 'harder' to stop/start, but it will bog a little more willingly if you dont apply enough gas. however, its easier to keep it in lift when you're flying down the road ;)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
c-one has a group buy for 365, it's chrome molly - spell check! haha but it only lasts til the end of june. karacing is the guy to talk to . i got the southbend tz aka stg 2. i can't wait for it to come, i opted for the fidanza, lighter, and i got a mrs lsd. i would not suggest using the phantom grip. very bad reviews and it wears. supposedly. good luck. while your at it, get a clutch line, redline tranny fluid, new flywheel bolts, and either get a push rod, or adjust the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
716 Posts
GTsRasta said:
Would a flywheel, lets say as light as the fidanza one, be that bad for a daily drive? I hear it's a lot harder to go from a stop n stuff...
our friend from London says it will "bog a little more willingly if you dont apply enough gas."

More gas on a slight incline = no go stock sometimes during snow = no going anywhere with a lighter flywheel.

or

other friend from Pa says, "honestly i put a fidanza in my car and its ok, i think i may have picked up a bit on the accelleration, but im glad i got it cheap because its not worth the 400 bucks"

In london all you have to deal with is rain and flat roads. In PA there is plenty of snow and hills, but I doubt that turbo Celica every saw it. So that's out.

I would go for the Toda flywheel or the C-One and not the lighter weight one if looking.

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,104 Posts
i understands your point but isn't the purpose of a lighter flywheel meant to be for quicker acceleration to the wheels...so in this respect, if the lightest flywheel (fidanza) doesnt make the most notable difference you've ever seen, then what hope is there for anything heavier? surely we're just playing with brand names here? Not having a pop at you personally, but i just dont see the point if somebody isn't going to get the lightest one, which isn't too much different from stock anyway.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
4,137 Posts
The lightest one, the fidanza, is actually about 42% lighter than the stock one.

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70710&highlight=flywheel+compilation

~Stock GTS (chromoly) - 13.0 lbs.

~Gripforce (chromoly) - 11.0 lbs.
~Blitz Active Clutch (chromoly) - 10.5 lbs.
~MWR (forged chromoly) - 10.5 lbs. (GTS)
~Toda (chromoly) - 10.3617 lbs.
~MWR (forged chromoly) - 10.2 lbs. (GT)
~C-One Standard (chromoly) - 9.9208 lbs.
~JUN (chromoly) - 9.6998 lbs.
~TRD Japan Flywheel (chromoly) - 9.6 lbs.
~RPS Cyn-R-G Segmented (aluminum) - 9.5 lbs.
~C-One Type-R (chromoly) - 8.8 lbs.
~TOM's (chromoly) - 8.03 lbs.
~AASCO (aluminum) - 8.0 lbs.
~Mueller (aluminum) - 8.0 lbs.
~Unorthodox (aluminum) - 8.0 lbs.
~Fidanza (aluminum) - 7.5 lbs.

I've read that a flywheel closer to stock would be ideal for smooth stop & go instances, while light flywheels makes that harder to do but improves accelaration. In addition, I read that flywheels would also affect launches, and that the improved acceleration would have to make up for the compromised launches off the line.

I value Thor's input cuz I live in NY. Although I'd like to drive my Dodge Dakota in the heavy rain and snow whenever I can, I'm pretty sure i'll be caught in an instance where I'd have to drive my celica in those conditions one day, and I don't want a mod that'll cause me problems on inclines and what not. What would be the best flywheel for a daily driver (especially in the varied weather and road conditions of NY)?

And not to get off topic...would anybody recommend the TRD or any other flywheel since it's around the middle? Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I preffer the Japanese brands because they are one piece chrom molly vs the 2 piece or multi piece aluminum counter parts... I dont like having a flywheel explode on a racing event... Which are fairly well known one those multi piece units...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts