NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I would wire the main power into a spare fuse in the engine bay with a relay between the circuit. For the switches, I'd create a circuit with the cigarette lighter (or better yet a spare slot in the passenger compartment fuse box) and use that circuit as the signal for the relay.

I'm not sure if a celica without a factory installed foglight has the necassary switches for the fogs already installed (which would have to include the switch on the steering wheel's light column). If it does, then wiring it into this system would be best but would probably be pretty complicated.

·
Unknown
743 Posts
Cool! Got a link? I gotta get one for my underdash lights and drls.

and I would wire fogs to parking lights if I were you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will put a link up later today!

I don't want them to the parking lights because I don't need them on 24/7 I just need a wiring chart

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would wire the main power into a spare fuse in the engine bay with a relay between the circuit. For the switches, I'd create a circuit with the cigarette lighter (or better yet a spare slot in the passenger compartment fuse box) and use that circuit as the signal for the relay.

I'm not sure if a celica without a factory installed foglight has the necassary switches for the fogs already installed (which would have to include the switch on the steering wheel's light column). If it does, then wiring it into this system would be best but would probably be pretty complicated.
What are the point of a relay between the fuse??

·
Fudgesicles
140 Posts
What are the point of a relay between the fuse??
you need a relay because the fog lights will draw too much power if you use the cig for its main power. If you do it with a relay and an accessory power, such as the cig or what I would do is use the hot wire for the front parking light so you can turn it on and off with the existing switch that you use to turn on the parking and headlights. I wired after market foglights on my bumper, you can see in the sig. But I am using a toggle switch to turn it on and off. It can be an issue remembering to turn it off though when you park sometimes, thats why you should wire it to something that shuts off when you turn off the car, or headlights.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah my fault man have been busy just dropped her with some KYB & TIEN springs. Il do it once I get to a computer

TCeli03 "Getting serious!"

·
Registered
77 Posts
Instead of running extra wires for the main power and adding fuses, there's a much easier way to add the fogs.

There are only two steps in my method aside from attaching and plugging in the foglights themselves.

The first is to add a relay that plugs right into the factory socket in the driver side kick panel. -Just plug and play -takes about one minute. Don't buy it from toyota -they charge over $50. You can get it for less than half that on --. Put in your year/make/model info and then look under the 'relay' category. Under the 'notes' for one of the relays listed under that it says 'fog light'. I bet if you looked for a while, you could find it even cheaper somewhere.

By using this relay, you can use the factory fog light wires that come installed on every celica to hook up your new lights (whether or not it came with oem fog lights). The harnesses are just taped up and tucked out of the way near where the stock fog lights are normally installed. You have to loosen up the wheel well plastics or sometimes the front bumper cover to get to them. You can splice your new lights into these wires and there is no need to add any fuses or run any new power or ground wires.

The second step is to splice your switch into the stock switch wires. Take off the three screws that hold on the bottom half of the steering column cover. -One on the bottom and two that you have to turn the steering wheel to see. Once these are out it pops off.

With the plastic off, look at the connector that goes into the bottom of the turn signal switch. There are three rows of wires in that connector from front of car to back of car. In the row nearest to the front of the car, there's a green wire with a black stripe and a green wire with a white stripe. The green and white loops back into the connector. Use quick splice connectors to tap into these wires (you can buy them at wal-mart cheap). Run the spliced wires to your switch and now you're controlling the relay and your new fog lights.

There's another pair of black /green and white/green wires in the row closest to the back of the car -Don't use those ones.

This is the cleanest way to install the fog lights and is probably also easier than running new wires. It's uses the factory setup, so in fact, if you get the turn signal switch from a celica that came with fog lights, it will plug right in and and work! -even if you've spliced in the extra switch (as long as you don't splice to the pair of wires I said not to use).

I have seen one car that did not have the factory switch wire inside the steering column. -If your car is like that, I can tell you an easy workaround.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
An man I just ordered a oem switch off eBay. But im going to look into this now! Thank you! :wiggles:

·
Registered
77 Posts
The method I explained will work with any type of switch you can splice in.

Did you order a switch on ebay that goes in one of the square knockout holes to the left of the steering wheel? It will work just fine of you splice it in the way I told you with those green wires. It will probably look really clean that way too.

Celicas that came with foglights have a ring on the turn signal lever that acts as the switch (sort of like the windshield wiper interval control ring on the other lever). With my install method, if you get this switch, it is completely plug and play with no splicing wires at all.

The turn signal switch is expensive though, and unless you can find one used or cheap, I don't think it's really worth the extra money unless you want a completely perfect factory look. You can always add one later with this install method though.

If you plan on going the turn signal switch route, it's probably a good idea to do a quick check and make sure the green wires are there before you spend the money. -Like I said, I did see a 2000 celica where those wires were not present for some reason even though every other celica I opened the steering column on had them. As long as those wires are there on the turn signal switch, it will work perfectly.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I got the turn signal switch for 20$ off eBay. But I wanna try and run the wiring like you said. I'm having trouble with the whole splicing. I don't really understand it but my HALO RINGS are not working on my headlight due to not knowing about splicing and all that stuff

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you put in a turn signal switch that has the oem foglight switch on it, there is no need to splice any wires inside the steering column. That step is only needed if you're using a non-oem switch.

With an oem foglight turn signal switch -instead of splicing, all you need to do is take out the old turn switch, and plug the new one in.

Once you've done that, next you plug in the relay in the way that I explained before.

Next, you have to find the oem fog light wires behind the front bumper. Your car already has these wires run and connected properly to the relay, fuses and power source -you don't need to run new wires, you just need to find these. Every celica came with these wires -even cars that did not come with factory foglights

The only splice you have to do is to splice the foglights into these wires. A quicksplice connector like this one is cheap, can be bought at wal mart, and is easy to install with only a pair of pliers. Even if you're new to working on you car's electrical system, this type of connector is very easy to use, and I bet you will be able to succeed at installing them. I you put one on and it doesn't work, just take it off and try again with a new one.

Using this type of connector to tap into the foglight wires of the car saves you from having to cut the oem connectors of them and you don't need to strip the oem wire either.

When you're installing and testing your new system, remember that this install will make your foglights function exactly like the factory system. The headlights need to be on and the highbeams off for the foglights to come on.

There are install guides on this forum to modify the foglights from the factory on/off function if you want that.

·
Unknown
743 Posts
Well I got the turn signal switch for 20$ off eBay. But I wanna try and run the wiring like you said. I'm having trouble with the whole splicing. I don't really understand it but my HALO RINGS are not working on my headlight due to not knowing about splicing and all that stuff

Butt connectors. ;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts