NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone using Fram oil filters, BEWARE. i took one off of an accord the other day, installed the new one, dumped new oil in, and started the car to get the oil pumped through the filter. luckily i only run cars about 15-20 seconds to do this, because i pumped about 2 quarts straight into the floor. the oil filter gasket from the Fram filter that was on the car didn't come off with the filter and i didn't know it, so there was no seal around the new filter, putting the car in grave danger. it's a good idea to check your filters for gaskets before installing the new ones. i learned the hard way. you guys now know too. ;)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
That's the case with all filters, not just Fram. I've never had it happen, but I always check to see if the gasket got left behind.

Scott

·
Registered
229 Posts
Also check the old filter and the mating surface to ensure that the old gasket is not stuck onto the engine, preventing a secure long-term seal of the new filter.

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
i've only had that happen with Fram filters. Honda and toyota filters seem like they hold on to the gasket.

·
Registered
903 Posts
thats why i use genuine toyota filters. i never had that happened to me before

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Originally posted by autxr
That's the case with all filters, not just Fram. I've never had it happen, but I always check to see if the gasket got left behind.

Scott
Originally posted by wingless
Also check the old filter and the mating surface to ensure that the old gasket is not stuck onto the engine, preventing a secure long-term seal of the new filter.

come on guys, this is simple oil change 101 stuff.

You ALWAYS check that gasket. You always run a small film of oil over the new gasket before installing it too.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Originally posted by Red01GTS
come on guys, this is simple oil change 101 stuff.

You ALWAYS check that gasket. You always run a small film of oil over the new gasket before installing it too.

w3rd, ur also supposed to wipe off the surface before putting the new filter with a slight film of oil to seal it up good.

oh, its not just fram, i actually had it happen to me 2 times with my toyota one.

·
Registered
290 Posts
that is the first rule i learned when i started changing my own oil about 23 years ago lol. ALWAYS make sure the gasket from the old filter doesn't stick on the car regardless of filter brand. It was one of the first things i taught my son when teaching him how to change oil also.

·
Banned
726 Posts
i use fram all the time and i always check...double check is what i always do..after the filter is on, i would start the car and check the filter for leaks... after about 5 mins and if it's good...i'll drive off

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just bought 2 fram filters for my celica. The Base Exchange had them two for the Price of one. Total $3.35. I think Toyota wanted $4.50 each. We don't put many miles on our celica so I usually change oil every 3 months. I never had a problem with fram.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts