NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the process of installing a turbo into my 2002 gts, what kind of tunning,engine managment,and other internals would i need besides the obvious. (turbo) Im purchasing these items from a dealer and i dont want to get screwed into buying something i dont really need! so will someone help me get things straight so i can get back to the dealer,as if i know what im talking about. thanx

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
16-18psi will yield around 350whp. Do you really want or need that much for a FWD? How deep is your wallet? I don't know if your dealer is knowledgable about custom turbos and aftermakert parts, most of them are ignorant when it comes to that.

For the boost you are asking for you need (in addition to a intercooled turbo kit):

1. 8:1 or so compression Forged Pistons.
2. Forge Rods.
3. Possibly resleeve block.
4. Fuel sytem upgrade (Return fuel line, bigger pump, injectors, etc).
5. Full engine management system like Motec, Tec 3, SplitSec, etc. and tuning.
6. Upgrade MAF sensor (possibly one from a Mustang or Ford Lightning)

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
16-18psi on a GTS? Goodluck.

What turbo do you plan on using?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
yea, that will be highly unsafe unless you build the hell out of that motor and i'd just take a guess of you spending at least $10k + on that. plus, IMO that's just too much power for a little light FWD car. my friend's put down 230 to the wheels which felt crazy and barely gets traction as it is. good luck though, but i'd highly reccomend lowering your expected power a good bit and doing a TON of reasearch, turbo'ing the GTS isn't an easy task.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Uhhh, maybe you yourself hasn't put enough research into it? Can I say compression ratio? 16-18 psi on our compression will blow the oil pan off the block! not really, but u know what I mean...of course, with the right amount of $$, anything is possible.
look at one nyoneway posted..he's completely on the right track...LSD would be a good idea also to get the power onto the ground

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
celicarcr2026 said:
y is it that it seems like everyone thinks its impossible or extremely hard to do because its a gts?
Y is it made to seem like it?

If your asking questions such as those above, then I'd say you're no where close being "in the process" of installing a turbo kit on your car.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Maybe this needs to be moved to the newbie forum? :)

celicarcr2026:

You should check out the thread on the XS Turbo, then seee why they only wanted to boost 7psi on a GT-S.

I am not saying it isn't possible. It just doesn't make sense for someone to spend that kind of money (roughly 12k-15k to parts, installation, and tuning) to a GT-S. If you do have that kind of money, it will be better spent to trade in your car for something else. :)

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
celicarcr2026 said:
y is it that it seems like everyone thinks its impossible or extremely hard to do because its a gts?
Y is it made to seem like it?
A lot of us know about many turbo projects for the GT-S and how difficult they've been, even at boost levels much lower than those you are talking about (we're talking 7 psi and less). I only know of two companies who've attempted boost levels even close to what you are asking about on a GT-S, and they only attempted this after MAJOR internal modifications to the engine. Call them to get some first-hand answers. The trick, however, is to talk to a real tech person over there instead of some phone salesman that knows very little about anything:

TRD USA did research on fully-built GT-S engines running lots of boost for Christian Rado's racecar, before those original plans were scrapped. Call and ask them your questions: (800)688-5912 .

EIP Tuning made a prototype GT-S turbo kit boosting around 12 psi with a built-up engine. Keep in mind, this kit cost 10 grand, WITHOUT installation or tuning.: ORDER LINE: 410.871.0406
TECH LINE: 410.876.1336.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
going that high on boost you better have one hell of a engine rebuild. Not to mention the best stand alone management system. Just these two alone is well over $7,000. Add ball-bearing turbo and all the other goodies... I say well over $12,000.
Well if you are still going through with this I wish you luck, because you will need it.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Good Luck Dude

16-18 PSI:bs: No way Jose are going to do that on a Celica even if you did the motor. Here's what you need not including labor. 1. eng mgmt Motec Mark 4 $7,800.00 installed and tunned 2. Turbonetics T3/4 hybrid 58 trim cermatic coated turbo $1,800.00 3. Forged rods, Lower comp forged pistons $1,400.00. 4. Cryo your block, heads, valve train and crank $2,300.00 5. 3" exhaust $1,500.00. Your up to $14,800.00 not including labor, fmic, piping, manifold, bov, wastegate, suspension uprade, lsd and clutch. Be prepaired to spend $25K!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
celicarcr2026, thats awsome man, go for it, you just need the money and it sounds like you got it, here check out the eip turbo kit, ive seen this in person, very nice, u get everything u need to boost high safe, the kit made 340 hp to the wheels, if you want a fast turbo kit that can boost high, here you go, 15psi, good luck man!
http://www.eiptuning.com/projects/toyotacelicaturboproject.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts