NewCelica.org Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

For Reference - Nitrious Installs / FAQ

51K views 125 replies 67 participants last post by  Smaay 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#7 ·
ok I'm sure I'm going to get flammed like crazy for this, but I'd done a little research on Nitrous systems and it seems like a great thing if done properly. Now here is the question. I've done all the research on how it works and how to hook it up and the pro's and con's of wet vs dry and dirt port systems. What I'm unsure of is Do you only run Nitrous through one gear, multiple or say only in 1st gear, 3rd ?? etc etc.

#8 ·
as long as you're running WOT then you can run it through any or all of the gears (i think, im still new to nitrous also)

#11 ·
this thread did absolutly nothing for me sorry, i want to know if i can safely run a dry 75 shot with a gt-s because of the high compression ratio the gt-s has i am worried about detonation. i know cars with 10.1/1 compression ratios that have ran a 75 shot safely but our gt-s have a 11.5/1 CR!!!!! and that alone creates more heat due to the presure and can cause detonation easily with any kind of forced induction, your article was good or "their" article but that doesnt tell you much about whats good for "our" cars

#12 ·
knightridergts said:
this thread did absolutly nothing for me sorry, i want to know if i can safely run a dry 75 shot with a gt-s because of the high compression ratio the gt-s has i am worried about detonation. i know cars with 10.1/1 compression ratios that have ran a 75 shot safely but our gt-s have a 11.5/1 CR!!!!! and that alone creates more heat due to the presure and can cause detonation easily with any kind of forced induction, your article was good or "their" article but that doesnt tell you much about whats good for "our" cars
Many people want to know that question including myself, but time will tell. The consensus is that 50 hp is safe, 75 hp is marginal, and 100 hp is very risky. The other thing that is important to remember is NX rates their hp to the wheels and the others to the crank. This is important because if you are running NX, you have more hp than the shot rating. I am running NX 62 shot and it should be giving me about 70hp boost at the crank. I have been running 50 shot for a year and 62 shot for almost a half year. Stock original plugs still look good after 27k miles. Proper setup and use makes the difference. My MR2 had 2 years of 100 shot and was running good with 167k miles when I sold it.

#14 ·
Yes my car is 100% stock, air box, plugs, and timing. I have not seen any problems after 1.5 years. On my old 2ng Gen MR2 I had 1 degree cooler NGK's and the rest stock. The MR2 stock clutch would not hold up to the extra 120hp, but my GTS clutch is holding up to the 70hp just fine.

#15 ·
Since most newbies will read this, hopefully this diagram I made will help a few out there when it comes to wiring their systems up.

If anyone here see's something on the diagram that doesnt look right to them, or see's an area that would need improving...please post back to discuss and possibly change.

In the following diagram the Fuel Pressure Safety switch is placed right after main system "On". If fuel pressure isnt proper...the system wont arm in the first place...also not allowing you to Purge, or use the Bottle Heater. I figure this is probably the safest way to run it...regardless, take a look...tell me what you think.

#16 ·
I think the diagram is a good basepoint for the wiring, however how are you increasing the fuel pressure? In this system the fuel is provided from the stock rail which as we all know is fed from a regulator on the fuel pump, hence no return line.

What happens here is the fuel pressure varies in the feed line so by adding in a tee to tap off fuel, what you are getting is a varied fuel pressure, it varies a lot BTW. How are you going to balance the nitrous to fuel? As the nitrous is supplied at a constant pressure (well it should be ;) ) the fuel varies and you get an imbalance meaning that you cannot match the jets correctly. You run a risk of running very lean or over rich, neither of which is that good for the engine or cat etc.

What I did on mine was first establish the pressure variance, this was done by fitting a fuel gaage onto the tee and going for a drive, big swings. The answer was to fit an inline regulator, drop the pressure to 10psi, which is well within the capability of the fuel system, and match jets from there.

The results were excellent, my original setup was supposed to be 50 shot, frankly I could have got more power with octane boost. With the regulator in place I got what felt like 50bhp more, probably not but definitely damn close.

As for whats the correct amount to run, my shop is an authorised NOS dealer, we never fit more than 50% of the stock engines power to an engine with stock internals. Beef up your innards and the gloves are off :) Its also best on high shot system to fit a secondary fuel system purely for the nitrous side of things.

Also note that on any not FI car with an FPR and return line up front, you should really be fitting a dry kit, such as the NOS one, this has a pressure device which adjusts the FPR to give more pressure thereby matching the pressure to the nitrous feed, and it works very well indeed. Unfortunately with the G7 there is no such fuel system available so wet is the only way to go, treat it like an FI car and things should be fine.

As a side note, the setup on my G7 will be direct port, I will also be fitting a secondary fuel feed and return. My car is supercharged.

#18 ·
Run your 75 shot on an independant fuel cell with 104 octane, done this way you can juice to the moon..

Zig

knightridergts said:

#20 ·
I just got a 75 shot on my celica gt about a week ago and I have never felt such a rush. It is an NX system, wet of course, and I love every bet of it. So far I have beaten Two 5.0 mustangs and an AWD turbo Talan, all which had a lot of work done to. There is nothing more fun than seeing them get pissed for losing by a 4 cylinder. The celicas run great with the bottle and anyone thinking of doing this should not have any doubts. Just make certain who ever installs it takes there time and test every thing before using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.