NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New member + Celica owner here, and I know what you guys are thinking. Eww the FRS wheels are butt ugly don't do it! But here, take a look!

Final product:

Going to share a little more info on what I did since very few went with this set of wheels. Used 3 bottles of black Plasti Dip, 1 bottle of Gold Metalizer and 1 bottle of Copper Metalizer. Painted the wheel in black, add 2 coat of gold, then 2 coat of copper. Didn't need spacers, but I should get a set since it's sunken ship status right now. I did added hubcentric rings 56.1mm to 54.1mm, OEM lug nuts didn't work so I used aftermarket lug nuts.

Meanwhile, I'm going to also use this opportunity to share my adventures with the Celica. I picked her up last year end of December after selling both of my cars. My brother moved out of country, so I ended up taking over his Mazda Protege5 and my Honda S2000. The S2000 ended up being the garage queen while I drive his Mazda to commute. However, as someone who telecommute and goes into the office once a week, I pretty much don't drive the S2000 at all. The battery actually died since I drive her at most twice a month, mileage was 65k for a MY03 car! It was my fun car tho, since the Mazda was auto and way underpowered (130hp). I ended up making the bold decision to sell both of them and to look for a Matrix XRS instead since 1) didn't enjoy driving the Mazda, 2) driving the S2000 is fun but I feel guilty to drive 100 miles round trip to work and rekt up the mileage 3) paying for registration and insurance on 2 car sucks, especially when you rarely drive!

Fortunately and unfortunately, I was able to sell both cars but unable to find a good Matrix XRS. I ended up becoming desperate and looked at everything from IS300, ES300, GS300, G35 sedan. After several weeks of searching, I stumbled upon a kind of one owner Celica GTS (dad is the first owner, son took over)! All stock and unmolested, straight frame, and basically is like a cooler compact version of the Matrix XRS! So, here I am. More pictures below...

When I first saw the ads, he said he hit a tire and cracked the front lip. :X

Just drove her home, cleaning initialized!

Tried my best to clean the interior

On the surface level it looks clean, but still very dirty in between the cracks. This is when I said screw it, don't want to drive with other people's boogers so I ended up gutting the car out to clean it good! I decided to paint the dash black while I'm at it.

After a good exterior cleanup. Did some clay/compound/wax

00GTSgetHIGH hooked me up with a lip, plus my HID bulb just came in, plus I need to replace the fog light. So I took the front bumper off to make magic!

I wanted to keep the car original, but I found a set of FRS wheels with tires for cheaper than the cost of new tires! This is when I went into extensive research into FRS wheels on Celica with very little results. Looks like everyone hate them here

The magic to turn yuck into yum!

After

At first I was like, hey, Toyota wheels, OEM fitment is the best! Unfortunately, they're actually Subaru wheels. Everything is Subaru on that car. I had to get hubcentric rings to center it properly. They're cheap though, $10.49 shipped from Europe. I had to wait 2 weeks for them to arrive.

Without the rings

After

And how the car looks now. Thanks for scrolling all the way to the bottom!

Please no moar lower comments. I like stock height lol

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Cool you're working on your car and everything
But yeah not many people like FRS wheels. I personally love the OEM 16" just wish the came in a better size.

Glad you did everything right and got hubrings and everything

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
They're 17s, but I'm pretty sure it's because of the angle of the picture. Car is very low already at stock height. 18/19 would be way too big though.

These aren't my #1 choice of wheels but in single color scheme, it can be pulled off rather nicely. The OEM 5 spokes would be perfect in 17s, too bad in the early 2000s they're mostly 15-16s for these cars.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
The Wheels isn't completely bad. Sorry, i know you said you like stock height. BUT I must say it, you need to drop it and add spacers. Something like DF210 would be perfect for you, not extremely low, but it would cover up the wheel gaps. That's just my opinion. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You should of kept painting the rest of the interior, it just looks a bit funky two toned
I know :1/10: I had to hold off on the center console since I'm down to 1 bottle of paint. Better to look funky for now and legit later than to push it and look busted all together!

It's been almost 10 years since I've owned a lowered car tho. For sure it'll look better if I drop it an inch + add 15mm or 20mm spacers all around but then again, not a youngin anymore :/: plus the wife will most likely bang the passenger door into the curb :chuckles:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts