NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,896 Posts
3 day course? where did you see that? I would love to do this, but that will be a lot of $$ spent in July.....the 26th we are doing the Mazda thing too, granted FATT would be more fun.....hmmm.....

·
Registered
12,703 Posts
Turn 4 isn't sharp. It's right before the carousel, which I never did nail the way I should have. :mad:

Natural instinct on turn 4 is to slow down slightly near the peak before the right-hand bend. Problem is that in a RWD vehicle you need weight on the back tires as you reach that peak or you're toast. So that means you're on the gas on what is sort of a blind right bend. Then you have to SLAM the breaks before the tight left-hand turn which is the entrance to the carousel. It's freaky and very hard on the brakes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
turn 4 at summit point

Pretty much the same as in RWD... DONT BRAKE ... it may feel a little unatural, but in an off-camber turn like that one, you want to stay on it. This means you have to plan ahead a little to make sure your not going to come in too hot, but that particular turn is surprisingly fast. I peaked around 90 accelerating out of the apex of 4. It is a blast. I posted a couple of short movies I made playing around with data from a run there... check out this thread if you want to see them:

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53526

The celica is fairly capable out there, and it is nice to surprise the big-block guys through the twisties. :) Definately go and give it a run if you haven't yet. It is what these cars were made to do.

Wish I could go in July... I went in April (was the only celica there), and am set to go again on June 20.

·
Registered
12,703 Posts
I think I was at about 80 or so usually on that turn. Don't remember exactly. I need to go back. :)

How fast did you get up to on the long straightaway (between 10 and 1)? I got WELL over 100. That's where I passed. I got passed a couple times in the turns because my instructor was restricting me back some (didn't know if the Lightning could handle it). But I usually got them back just after turn 10. :D

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
Dont think I can justify the $175 (buying a place to live - I just put in my first bid tonight!)... and after my autox experience I am not sure I would want to go full out on the RE92s! *SQUEAL* $20 for an autox is one thing...

I'd go play groupie though... "go dcm go"

-bd :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
2000 XYR said:
I think I was at about 80 or so usually on that turn. Don't remember exactly. I need to go back. :)

How fast did you get up to on the long straightaway (between 10 and 1)? I got WELL over 100.

I topped out around 115. I would think you could get your beast up to 125 before the end of the straight. I am hoping I can get it up to 120 if I can take turn 10 fast enough. Carrying speed through the turns is crucial with a FWD corner-carver!

That's where I passed. I got passed a couple times in the turns because my instructor was restricting me back some (didn't know if the Lightning could handle it). But I usually got them back just after turn 10. :D
No passing allowed in the turns at FATT... do you mean on the straight between 2 and 3 and the back straight between 9 and 10 as being "in the turns"? Anyway, yeah I am sure it is no contest on the main straight... just be sure to let them by you if they are breathing down your neck through the turns!

Hope to see you all out there some time - it is definately cool to see all different types of cars out there, all with people ethusiastic about learning how to contol it near the limit.

·
Registered
12,703 Posts
fluids_gts said:
I would think you could get your beast up to 125 before the end of the straight.
130 actually. :D And that truck had a better skidpad rating than most "sporty" cars. :)

(It wasn't at FATT, it was the HyperDrive during Hyperfest last year.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts