NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These are the front lower control arms we designed and GTSJason has been testing for us. They seem to perform very well and have not only improved steering and handling, but the spherical bearings have also helped to eliminate the massive amount of wheel hop the stock bushings allow, which is great news for drag racing applications.

Adjustable tubular chromoly lower control arms:

The purpose of this thread WAS to assist me in figuring out how much I need to order in the way of materials for the first batch. I'm going to go ahead an stop taking interested parties at this point.

Congrats to the first 4 responders - you're getting free LCAs for evaluation. PM me your shipping info and phone numbers and I'll let you know when they are done (will probably be a month or so).

The default will be black powder coating. Additional coatings or colors will be available at extra cost.

1 - TRDMSPRTS27
2 - BT216
3 - Euromotorsports
4 - Adosdrummer

·
Banned
4,052 Posts
thats why he has a test mule running these to find that out and has been for a few weeks now
I mean doing engines parts ok

but parts for handling is another story

you have to do multiple test to make sure its safe,last thing you want to happen is somebody killing thereself by it cracking from constant pot holes per exemple, im guesing there fallowing some rules from the safety?

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
are these safe??
what if it cracks loose my wheel and crash my car or die?
The modes of failure are no different than a stock LCA. There is very little actual load on the LCA as that is carried by the strut - the LCA is responsible for keeping the bottom of the strut where it is supposed to be. The "load" of supporting the vehicle is carried in the upper strut mount. Pretty much the only time the LCA will experience load sufficient to damage or fail is if you whack a curb hard or get hit in the wheel by another car. At that point (stock or not) they tend to bend or break if the impact is hard enough. But its generally the result of that incident, not the cause.

We are using the highest quality components available, and this style of control arm has been in use in motorsports and drifting for quite some time. The concept is proven and my fabricator has been making parts like this for over 10 years.

Chromoly is stronger than mild steel - the stock peice will bend long before this one does.

That being said, it if worries you, don't buy one. These are racing parts, not really meant for daily drivers. The people that need them know who they are and are familiar with the design methodology. I'm not reinventing the wheel here, I'm just making sure the bolt pattern matches the Celica (metaphorically speaking).

I gave Jason a free set and asked him to test them. He has autocrossed, street driven and drag raced on them and has been satisfied. Thats pretty much the best I can do as I don't know anyone that takes their Celica offroad, and you don't really want a stiff LCA like this for rally anyhow.

·
Banned
4,052 Posts
The modes of failure are no different than a stock LCA. There is very little actual load on the LCA as that is carried by the strut - the LCA is responsible for keeping the bottom of the strut where it is supposed to be. The "load" of supporting the vehicle is carried in the upper strut mount. Pretty much the only time the LCA will experience load sufficient to damage or fail is if you whack a curb hard or get hit in the wheel by another car. At that point (stock or not) they tend to bend or break if the impact is hard enough. But its generally the result of that incident, not the cause.

We are using the highest quality components available, and this style of control arm has been in use in motorsports and drifting for quite some time. The concept is proven and my fabricator has been making parts like this for over 10 years.

Chromoly is stronger than mild steel - the stock peice will bend long before this one does.

That being said, it if worries you, don't buy one. These are racing parts, not really meant for daily drivers. The people that need them know who they are and are familiar with the design methodology. I'm not reinventing the wheel here, I'm just making sure the bolt pattern matches the Celica (metaphorically speaking).

I gave Jason a free set and asked him to test them. He has autocrossed, street driven and drag raced on them and has been satisfied. Thats pretty much the best I can do as I don't know anyone that takes their Celica offroad, and you don't really want a stiff LCA like this for rally anyhow.
I agree it's a good idea,but i just hope you know what you're doing,and have good insurance in-case this piece gets a failure in it

so technicly you're saying this thing is for autocross and drag racing only?

How about rust?will it rust out faster the stock one and fail?

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
^ Wth? lol

1) He's an LLC, he's set on the "stupid people doing stupid things and getting hurt" side of the coin.

2) That's a silly way to generalize what he's told you.

3) No

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree it's a good idea,but i just hope you know what you're doing,and have good insurance in-case this piece gets a failure in it

so technicly you're saying this thing is for autocross and drag racing only?

How about rust?will it rust out faster the stock one and fail?
The stock LCA is welded stamped mild steel. Mine is thick wall chromolly. Its being TIG welded and has the maximum amount of contact possible on the welds. We have reinforced it far beyond what is necessary. I don't know what you are looking for here, but as I said, if aftermarket suspension peices worry you don't buy one.

We have done everything we can to ensure maximum durability and still hit our design target. These are performance parts designed to enhance handling and suspension rigidity. They are intended for motorsports uses - not as a part to run for 200,000 miles on a daily driver. The stock LCAs already fill that niche.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm seems like everyone wants them under 500? We're still running the numbers, but based on the general low level of interest so far I may need to switch from powder coat to zinc coating and offer the powder as a cost up option to hit that price point. Would that bother anyone? It will basically look like raw steel with a slightly yellowish cast to it.

·
Banned
4,052 Posts
The stock LCA is welded stamped mild steel. Mine is thick wall chromolly. Its being TIG welded and has the maximum amount of contact possible on the welds. We have reinforced it far beyond what is necessary. I don't know what you are looking for here, but as I said, if aftermarket suspension peices worry you don't buy one.

We have done everything we can to ensure maximum durability and still hit our design target. These are performance parts designed to enhance handling and suspension rigidity. They are intended for motorsports uses - not as a part to run for 200,000 miles on a daily driver. The stock LCAs already fill that niche.
Thanks for your info,

i guest you can copy paste some of the info you posted in the reply's to me about it in the main thread?

And no i don't want buy one,no need for it + my car is a DD

Gday

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hmm seems like everyone wants them under 500? We're still running the numbers, but based on the general low level of interest so far I may need to switch from powder coat to zinc coating and offer the powder as a cost up option to hit that price point. Would that bother anyone? It will basically look like raw steel with a slightly yellowish cast to it.
i want a set, it wouldnt bother me if they were zinc coated. im looking to spend $500 aswell. do they offer camber and caster adjustments?

Thanks for your info,

i guest you can copy paste some of the info you posted in the reply's to me about it in the main thread?

Gday
all those questions and ur not even interested, u just wasted ur time and his.
obviously u have no clue...

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So.... why exactly are you wasting my time?

The testing process and construction are transparent - the materials have been posted, the tester is known to everyone. Have I done something to you in the past that makes you want to waste my time?

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 148 Posts