NewCelica.org Forum banner

121 - 140 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
well i got photos and dimensions. i got dimensions of the spacer and the bushings but i didnt get dimensions of the ball joint or the inner tabs as i forgot about those. all the bushings are the same 28.63mm and 28.62mm.

overall dimension with the bushings in the spacer is different between passenger and driver side. driver side is smaller then the passenger side on both ends. driver side rear is 58.46mm the front is 58.29mm. the passenger side rear is 58.60mm and the front is 58.44mm.

also was there supposed to be some kind off rust resistant coating on the ball joints?

·
Registered
2 Posts
well ~.24mm is a very small amount for a hand cut part... and that amount should be easily taken out by the correct torque on the bolt...

the ball joints are QA1 PN pcmr10T (Teflon lined and black oxide coating). its natural for them to have some corrosion but they do sell rubber booties to go over the rod ends. make sure that you DO NOT sprat a lubricant on them, it will trap dirt and sand and quickly deteriorate. most quality bearings are self clearing so really no maintenance is required.
as far as the problem your having... were talking about the difference of maybe 3 pieces of paper thickness? a good hammer tap on the "ear" of the sub frame should solve that.

I checked the few remaining bushings I have left and none of them are over 28.45mm so I cant even send you replacements easily. the spacers are cut from 4130.

I am still interested to see if there is a difference in the width of the mounts themselves.

Ill check back here from time to time, but likely youll have to contact dave or jason if you need more support.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
as far as other measurements you would like me to get i can get those at any given time as long as my dad has an open bay. and as long as i remember which ones i need to get lol

the bolts are torqued as far as there going to go. the only idea i have atm is to put rubber o-rings between the bushings and the spacer but that would only be a temporary fix. as far as the "ear" goes are you referring to the corner by the bolt that goes into the frame?

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
well after trying different things to solve my issue of the bushings being way to short i ended up taking them off and putting the OEM ones back on. before i removed them i noticed wear marks on the arms themselves and to my surprise my factory 16" wheels were hitting the arms. i then put my new wheels back on and again they also hit the control arm on full turn

the overall bushing size of the factory arms were 59.72mm for the rear. the overall bushing size for the DDPR arm in the rear was 58.41mm also the DDPR arms are much wider than the oem arms leaving no clearance on full turns.

have any of you other guys running these arms having clearance issues on full turns??

but all in all with the issues i had the arms held up really well

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
well after trying different things to solve my issue of the bushings being way to short i ended up taking them off and putting the OEM ones back on. before i removed them i noticed wear marks on the arms themselves and to my surprise my factory 16" wheels were hitting the arms. i then put my new wheels back on and again they also hit the control arm on full turn

the overall bushing size of the factory arms were 59.72mm for the rear. the overall bushing size for the DDPR arm in the rear was 58.41mm also the DDPR arms are much wider than the oem arms leaving no clearance on full turns.

have any of you other guys running these arms having clearance issues on full turns??

but all in all with the issues i had the arms held up really well
Never has this problem on lock to lock turns

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
when i looked at the backside of the old wheels there was a red ring on the rim matching the wear mark on the arm. with the new wheels only the tire was touching. im planning on emailing dave with photos of the size and shape difference and dimensions of the bushings between the 2 and see what he wants to do. i know they were for testing and i got them for free so im not expecting anything. the longer arm should have a arc to it like the oem arms do so the wheels will clear and not be straight like it is. i wish i spotted this shit sooner instead of just throwing them on and not worry about it.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #135 (Edited)
Sorry - just saw this.

Do you still have your original LCAs? I would like for you to send the test ones back so we can inspect them and check the sizing and see if we can figure out what the problem was. They should not have been hitting anything that the stockers don't hit as they are SUPPOSED to be within the same external dimensions or close enough as to make no difference. I will have my fabricator fix the problem and we will return them to you at that point.

If you don't have your stockers anymore let me know and I'll dig up a set to send you.

Sorry I missed your posts in this thread BTW - we have been REALLY busy lately. In the future, my phone number is in my sig so please just call me so I can respond in a more timely fashion! :D

As a heads up - the bolts for the LCAs should crush the metal in to fit - it often expands slightly when removing the stock LCAs because it is fairly thin. If you used a ratchet to tighten them there is a very good chance they were not tight enough. Most people use an impact wrench, but if you want to do it by hand you should use a torque wrench and torque them to at least 101 ft. lbs per the factory R/M. If they were loose fitting as you complained of I suspect they may not have been tightened sufficiently, which may have also allowed enough play for them to hit your wheels. Or that may have been an entirely different issue. We will see when we get them back.

Our address is 4073 FM 3538 Rd. Sealy, TX 77474.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
hey dave, yea i still have the stockies and i had to put them on to avoid any rubbing issues with the new wheels. as far as them not being tight enough at the bushings i used a impact gun to tighten them. i couldnt physically move them by hand but if i took a rubber mallet and tap at the arms by the bushings you could tell they were loose. i had an idea to expand the bushing to make it a tighter fit but it finally dawned on me what the wear marks on the arms were from. i was gonna email you pics of the size difference between the 2 arms and all 4 bushing sizes from stock to yours but didnt plan to do that till i got the new bushings for the stockies. i can get the LCA's out to you Friday if you like. as far as turn around time its not a rush i know you guys have been buisy with the new shop n all thats why i havent sweeted it lol.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Update - I measured the spherical bearings and spacers and they were within 0.04" +/- of my stock control arms, so it seems likely that you just didn't tighten them fully when installing.

Next step - I am going to install the arms in my GTS and see how they fit / clear my wheels at full lock. (I have stock wheels still)

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm just going to throw this out there.

Did you try to tighten the control arms only at full load?

Meaning that you had the control arms at load (comparable to on the road) while tightening them down to full torque?

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Update - I measured the spherical bearings and spacers and they were within 0.04" +/- of my stock control arms, so it seems likely that you just didn't tighten them fully when installing.

Next step - I am going to install the arms in my GTS and see how they fit / clear my wheels at full lock. (I have stock wheels still)
sorry i havent looked in here sooner.

as far as tightening them fully the bolts can only go so far by hand, torque or impact. i even tried while it was on the alignment rack so i could try to tighten it even more with weight on it from the car. no change still had same issues.

after you check clearance at full lock let me know and we will go from there

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #140 (Edited)
So we finally got around to mounting the LCAs last week. They cleared by about 1/2" at the tightest point. We re-painted the rubbed areas and we will be driving my GTS with them mounted for a while to observe them and see if we see any signs of contact

The car has the stock alloys so it should be a good test.

I wonder if maybe you have some play in your lower ball joints? Or maybe they were installed on the wrong side or something? Do you still have the pictures from when they were installed?

121 - 140 of 148 Posts