NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For Sale: 2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder / 22,000 miles / Excellent cond.
Yellow w/Black convertible top
Black leather interior
5-speed
NEW wheels & tires
am/fm CD stereo
power windows / power locks / remote entry

Asking $19,500 or best offer
car is located in Northern Virginia / Washington D.C. area

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
I'll give you a GT for it!

·
Registered
687 Posts
wasnt this a salvaged vehicle?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
h0l0grafik said:
wasnt this a salvaged vehicle?
Yes, it had a PA salvage title, but it was not a totalled car. Most of the damage was cosmetic. My brother and I purchased it together for the purpose of repairing it for resale. All the work was professionally done by myself and him. I've been an autobody/frame/suspension tech for 25 years and my brother has been an autobody tech for 27 years. Only New Genuine Toyota parts were used in the repair. In the front, the bumper cover, left headlamp, & left fender were replaced. In the rear, the bumper assembly, both taillamps, & left quarter were replaced. The only structural damage was the rear frame was swayed to the right a little. For pics of the work go to the "DC Metro forum" and search back a few weeks.(I don't know how to post the link)
I believe the reason it was salvaged was because the previous owner just didn't want it after it had been in an accident and settled with the insurance company, because according to CARFAX, State Farm Ins. is who sold it to the recycler. It COULDN'T have been totalled because the damage estimate was only for $4200. That's nowhere near the 75% threshold to make it a total. Anytime an insurance company gets ownership of a car, it's title gets stamped "SALVAGE", whether it's a total loss, flood vehicle, theft recovery, etc. or not.
Anyway, after being inspected by the VA DMV investigators, it now has a clean title with no "salvage" stamped on it anywhere.
I'll tell you how confident I am in the repairs. My 16 yr old daughter wants this car sooooo bad. She & my wife have been cruising in it since I brought it home. The only reason I don't want my daughter having it is not because "it's been in an accident & repaired", it's because she can't drive a manual and the insurance on her in that car would be real expensive.

·
Registered
480 Posts
thats too bad because assuming she's a cutie, the car would be a nice match for her. poor girl. go teach her how to drive a stick.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the title is CLEAR. the only way anyone would know this had a salvage title is from carfax. you can look at any of the cars i've fixed and NEVER be able to tell that it's been in an accident.(Just ask the DCM members) The car books for over $20,000, asking $19,500. would consider offers though

·
Premium Member
21,896 Posts
I back Bill on this one, I saw the car when it got to the shop and I can honestly say this was NOT a totalled car, I was like "holy sh1t!!! that's all????" seriously.......If I wasn't in debt and didn't have my celica, I would buy it in a heartbeat. And as for the cars he's fixed, Bill knows his stuff, I've taken my car to him for minor stuff and he's treated just like if it was a big job, here are two of his most famous ones:

ringthree (near total loss)
Mike T (rear ended)

and both, you would've never thought they were in any accident.....Bill = :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
It looks excellent Bill, you've put hard work into making this car beautiful again, I'd love to see it with some gunmetal rims, I bet it would look awesome..

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Bill is an incredible mechanic and a gentleman of high moral character....having said all of that looook at that car! Just start negotiating with him on it and I think you'll find he's reasonable. :wow:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Even though the car might have a clear title in your state, wouldn't it always have a salvage title and deter buyers from purchasing from the future owner?

The car looks nice, but I think it's misleading to say that the title is clear even though it was salvaged in another state.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
It will NEVER have a salvage title or "salvage" printed anywhere on the title. It WILL have a record of once having a salvage title, but noone would ever know it unless thay saw it on CARFAX. I just like to be upfront with people and certainly would never sell anyone an unsafe car.
This is no different than anyone of you having an accident in your $20k+ car with only 22,000miles. If the estimate was for only $4200, and a facility repaired the car correctly and so well that you could not tell it was ever wrecked, wouldn't you still want the car? If you sold it, would you inform the buyer that it had just been repaired?
Here's an interesting point: I repaired Ringthree's GT-S this past fall. He is in our club at DCM7thGen. The value of his car was about $20k and the total estimate after we finished his car was over $14k. The left front tire hit the firewall so hard it knocked the clutch pedal into the brake pedal and bent the front end of the inner rocker panel reinforcement at a 90degree angle.
At the rear of the car, the frame rails were pushed up so high that it opened up the quarter panel to hatch gap so wide you could shut it and still slide your hand inside the car. That car spent 7 solid days on the frame machine! In all my 25+ years of doing body repair I've never had a car spend 7 days on the frame machine. Now I could put that car up on a lift and let anyone look it over and under and they'd drive it for hundreds of thousands of miles and NEVER know that it had been "technically" a total loss. $14,000+ worth of damage to a $20,000 car. THAT is "technically" a total loss! Yet, THAT car will NEVER have a "salvage history". Ringthree could sell that car tomorrow and the buyer would never find out that it had been "technically" a salvaged vehicle. But this $20,000 MR2 Spyder has a measely $4000 worth of damage and it's branded with a salvage title simply because State Farm settled with the owner who didn't want the car after it had been in an accident.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
skreemin_trdgts said:
It will NEVER have a salvage title or "salvage" printed anywhere on the title. It WILL have a record of once having a salvage title, but noone would ever know it unless thay saw it on CARFAX. I just like to be upfront with people and certainly would never sell anyone an unsafe car.
This is no different than anyone of you having an accident in your $20k+ car with only 22,000miles. If the estimate was for only $4200, and a facility repaired the car correctly and so well that you could not tell it was ever wrecked, wouldn't you still want the car? If you sold it, would you inform the buyer that it had just been repaired?
Here's an interesting point: I repaired Ringthree's GT-S this past fall. He is in our club at DCM7thGen. The value of his car was about $20k and the total estimate after we finished his car was over $14k. The left front tire hit the firewall so hard it knocked the clutch pedal into the brake pedal and bent the front end of the inner rocker panel reinforcement at a 90degree angle.
At the rear of the car, the frame rails were pushed up so high that it opened up the quarter panel to hatch gap so wide you could shut it and still slide your hand inside the car. That car spent 7 solid days on the frame machine! In all my 25+ years of doing body repair I've never had a car spend 7 days on the frame machine. Now I could put that car up on a lift and let anyone look it over and under and they'd drive it for hundreds of thousands of miles and NEVER know that it had been "technically" a total loss. $14,000+ worth of damage to a $20,000 car. THAT is "technically" a total loss! Yet, THAT car will NEVER have a "salvage history". Ringthree could sell that car tomorrow and the buyer would never find out that it had been "technically" a salvaged vehicle. But this $20,000 MR2 Spyder has a measely $4000 worth of damage and it's branded with a salvage title simply because State Farm settled with the owner who didn't want the car after it had been in an accident.
very well said..

oh bumped it for ya!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts