NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone i was wondering if any of you had this problem, my fuel door hinge broke off from my celi so only one hinge is holding the fuel door and was wondering any suggestions how to repair this since the hinge is riveted to the body of the car.

Thanx

Igor

·
Registered
40 Posts
yea just get a new one, you can only get a door hinge from the toyota dealer happen to me one time it cost like 15 bucks n cost like 10 bucks to put it on no biggie

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
its a common problem. talk to your dealer about getting parts for it.
get a new one, drill out the rivits and rivit the new one in.
i had to do this. and it'll cost you in paint.

and i don't think you can get just the hinge since its spot welded to the door. but i could be wrong. or go to a junk yard and see if theres on in your color you can drill the rivets out of. probably cost you 15 bucks.

i couldn't do it. gl for me trying to find another yellow celica in a junk yard. let alone in this city.

·
One Final Storm
3,472 Posts
^lol, thats so true. although i have my Solar Yellow gas lid i could've sold to u :gap:

·
Registered
290 Posts
funny, i was about to post about this. except mine just had both bits of the hinge break off and was only attached by the gas cap cable and the part that snaps in place. so the door is now in my back seat.

i have no experience drilling out rivets, and i'm not sure how thick the metal is there. is it just sheet metal? is there a reason Toyota didn't just have the hinge bolted?

why such a problem on the 7th gen? i've had over 10 previous gen Celicas, i live in Ohio where rust is bad...and yet this is the first time i've had this issue.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
heres how to drill out rivets

tools needed:
Hammer (ball peen in the 16oz range preferred)
narrow long flat tipped punch
drill
drill bits

use the hammer and punch to knock the center out of the rivet
start with a small drill bit and work your way up until the rivet falls apart

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Happened to me too, I just welded it back on after driving around with no gas door for a month or so. I really need to get a new one though, the bottom broke back off within a week.

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
If anyone needs a new one I may have a Carbon Blue one that I will be selling in a week or two. PM me if interested. $45 shipped, excellent condition.

They are pretty easy to remove. If you don't have the proper tools to rivet in a new one, take it to any shop and they will do it for you for a small fee. It takes all of 10 seconds to put in the new rivets. It's drilling them out that will take a minute or two, if you don't really know what you are doing, it may take you 5-10mins. Not more than that.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Huh.. same thing with me.. bottom hinge rusted and broke and my fuel door is now crooked slightly.
thats how mine came when i bought the car. the guy left it there like that so long it was rubbing on the car. and i had exposed spots. some touch up paint later and a new painted door it was fixed.

and thanks Geist but it was before i found out about nc.org. and everything else.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The same thing is going on with my car. The top hinge is broke and the bottom is barely holding on. The next time I pop my fuel door, I can see it comming off :gap:

·
Registered
77 Posts
heres how to drill out rivets

tools needed:
Hammer (ball peen in the 16oz range preferred)
narrow long flat tipped punch
drill
drill bits

use the hammer and punch to knock the center out of the rivet
start with a small drill bit and work your way up until the rivet falls apart
then you hammer in the new rivets i'm guessing? hinges rusted on my '01 gt and i gotta buy a new door >_<
edit: whats a punch?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
omggg infinite thanks! could i clip off the rivet head since i dont have a rivet gun?
You can drill the head of the rivet off, but you'll need a rivet gun to rivet the new gas lid on. Try autozone loan-a-tool or something.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I had the same problem with the fuel door. EXCEPT!!! I can't find a rivet gun with a large enough adapter to take the rivets that came with the door from Toyota. Anyone experiance this? I have the door painted and ready to go on, but i can't use my standard rivet gun.??

Any thoughts? Would Autozone's rental have a larger adapter?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just had this happen when I hit something on the highway not too long ago. If I remember right, I had the hinge loosely still attached, but the fuel door got left on the highway somewhere. I just bought a fuel door from a junk yard, had it painted. Went up to a Toyota Body Shop and the dude took the old hinge off and and put the new one on for free. ...probably will never happen at Toyota again, but I'll take it! Took 10 minutes and they were done! The tech said he's done about 40 in the past year...probably a little exaggeration, but I'm sure it's been a lot, and sounds common! Good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine did this as well. I was looking into it a bit closer this afternoon and noticed that the rubber seal around the filler can be removed by taking the the retainer ring out and then pushing the seal inside. This would allow one to use bolts instead of rivets. Now to get a new door.
Which leads up to a question. has any one tried the ICI Gas Tank Skin Kit Universal Gas Tank Skin Kit that Andy's AutoSport is selling? If so, how does it look?

·
Driver
7 Posts
Hi. I just wanted to say I found this forum due to my fuel door missing! I'm so glad I did. I located a used fuel tank door on this site, under classifieds. It was from someone halfway around the world, and they shipped it to me right away! (None of the junk yards in my area had any Celicas, and I couldn't find any on Ebay either). I followed the person's advice on here, and took the replacement part with me up to the dealership, and they were more than happy to take off the old rusted hinge and put on the new fuel door for FREE! Thanks, so much!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts