NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this is important for everybody to read

**** Got this in the mail the other day since i own a Late 2002 Celica***

It came addressed to me with my car, the year and the vin number from Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., INC. With Late 2002 and Early 2003 Model Year Toyota Celica Fuel Tank Check Valve Safety Recall Follow-Up Notice.

Ok so I open it up and there is different sorts of info inside:

It came with a sticker for the dealer that the dealer would have to fill out and send back to them with a preaddressed letter.

What is the problem?
-In certain late 2002 through early 2003 model year celica vehicles, the fuel tank check valve, located in the fuel tank inlet pipe, maybe become seperated from the inlet pipe and fall into the fuel tank. If the check valve falls into the tank, fuel may spill from the fuel inlet pipe when the fuel pump automatically shuts off during fueling. In the worst case, this may result in a fire in the presence of an ignition source.

What will Toyota do?
-Any Toyota dealer will inspect and, if necessary, repair the fuel tanch check valve at NO COST to you.

The letter then goes on with what should u do and what if u have any questions and contact mumbo jumbo.

So.... ill be bringin my car in for them to check this next week.

-greg

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I had this done about a year back. I received a letter in the mail like you also. Even though my tank never did spill over they gave me a whole new assembly. But be careful. Make sure when you bring your car in you bring it in with about one to two bars left, bnecause when they give it back they drain all the gas out and your gas light is on.

·
Registered
8,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blue Bomber said:
The recall has been out for two years already, and you just got a notice now? :wtf:
i got my car in september

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Had mine done last year some time. Took a couple hours. They suggested I bring it in with the least amount of gas possible, since they had to drain it I think.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by Blue Bomber
The recall has been out for two years already, and you just got a notice now? :wtf:

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Be aware that a lot of people have had problems with their cars after Toyota supposedly corrected the problem. I was one of them so just be aware that your car may be worse off after taking it in than it is now. This recall is pointless really. I mean all you have to do is watch the fuel nozzle when you are feeling up and you will be fine. Personally, I know mine didn't have thos problem but it was in the group of VIN's that were suspected to have it so they insisted I take it in. Anyways be cautious of dealers that is all I am saying. Later.

Justin

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
My car would spill fuel when it was brand spanking new.......Had the recall done 1.5 years ago.

Originally posted by DopeCelicaGT
Be aware that a lot of people have had problems with their cars after Toyota supposedly corrected the problem. I was one of them so just be aware that your car may be worse off after taking it in than it is now. This recall is pointless really. I mean all you have to do is watch the fuel nozzle when you are feeling up and you will be fine. Personally, I know mine didn't have thos problem but it was in the group of VIN's that were suspected to have it so they insisted I take it in. Anyways be cautious of dealers that is all I am saying. Later.

Justin
I didn't buy a new car to have it spill fuel all over the place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts